Thursday, October 30, 2003

You know, I love cross stitch and I love knitting, and I love quilting, so WHY do I hate garment sewing so much? I hate. hate, hate it. I hate reading the instructions, I hate cutting out the patterns from that flimsy pattern paper and I hate running it thru my machine.

Why am I whining about this today? Halloween is tomorrow. My most dreaded holiday. Because it means making costumes. And because I always procrastinate and then I'm going nuts the day before. DD will be a lion - her friends all want to go as characters from the Wizard of Oz. I've convinced her that she only needs the hood w/a mane, mittens, and shoe covers, and not the full body outfit. But that's still enough to send me into a tail spin. Oh yeah - that reminds me, she'll need the damn tail, too.

I read a cool idea - you buy a yellow sweatshirt and pants, paint tire tracks on it, and you're a speed bump. Now that's MY kind of costume. Let's face it, I'll never be the kind of mom whose kid goes to school on Halloween and everybody marvels over my creativity. I'm the kind of mom who sends them with a Kmart costume and plastic mask. We watched It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown a couple of nights ago, and I was taken back to when we were kids and the sheet with a couple of holes was just hunky-dorry with us. Now costuming is like going to the prom! One of my friends daughters was a fairy last year. She spent well over $100 in the material for the costume....and this was for a 5 y.o.!

I'll check in after Friday when all of this is over. I'll be in a better mood then.

No comments:

Post a Comment