Friday, January 16, 2004

Well, after yesterday's "heavy" post, I think I'll keep today's a bit lighter. I don't have any stitching news. My fabric and thread are gathering dust at the moment, as I've worked late for the past couple of days. If I don't get started before 9PM, I'm toast when it comes to stitching.

Since it's Friday, I'll do my Friday Five!

1. What does it say in the signature line of your emails?
Nothing!

2. Did you have a senior quote in your high school yearbook? What was it? If you haven't graduated yet, what would you like your quote to be?
Oh my gosh, no!

3. If you had vanity plates on your car, what would they read? If you already have them, what do they say?
I don't have vanity plates - I think they're silly.

4. Have you received any gifts with messages engraved upon them? What did the inscription say?
Once again - oh my gosh, no!

5. What would you like your epitaph to be?
Lee: Man oh man was she boring!

Folks, I've never felt so character-less in my life! This was depressing, in a funny sort of way. Maybe it was my Lutheran upbringing....

But let's get back to keeping it light.

Maybe you'd like to know what's for dinner tonight? I'm making a hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup. The original recipe from Allrecipes.com calls for barley, but my family likes noodles. Here's my recipe:

3 pounds beef chuck roast
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Bay leaf

Season chuck roast as you like, then put in a slow cooker on high for 4-5 hours. Add the bay leaf during the last hour of cooking. When done, remove meat and chop into bite size pieces. Discard bay leaf. Set the beef and beef juices aside. I like ot put it in the freezer for a little while so the fat rises and solidifies and then I can easily skim it off.

2 Tablespoons oil
3 chopped carrots
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 onion chopped
1 16oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
1 large can beef broth
29 oz. can stewed tomatoes
salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste (we like 3+Tblsp.worchestire sauce and 2 tsp. basil)
Any noodles that you like, cooked according to their package directions

Heat oil in a large stock pot to a medium high heat. Saute carrots, celery, onion and frozen vegetables till tender. Add water, beef broth, tomatoes, and some black pepper, and the beef and beef juices. Bring it to a boil, then reduce it to a simmer for 10-20 minutes.

Serve it with a crisp salad and some warm rolls. Excellent during these frigid January evenings!

And I want to give credit where credit is due: This recipe was submitted by Margo Collins at

Allrecipes.com

For those of you in the northeast, Stay Warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment