Sunday, February 01, 2004

Not much to write about today. The better part of the afternoon was spent cleaning the old garage so we could fit a car in it. Not an everyday car - just a summer car that needs to be stored.

Garages....the accumulation of car parts, sporting goods, garden equipment, and tools is astounding. Not to mention dust, dirt, leaves, and cobwebs. I'd like to have ONE nice day, and a giant sucking machine...

DH and I went to the movies last night. I was just in a movie mood, and watching one at home wasn't going to cut it. So we saw Mystic River. I was looking forward to it - you know how some days you really want some engrossing drama? But I gotta say I was unimpressed.

Spoilers follow, so if you haven't seen the movie you may want to stop reading here!

I know, I know, so many have raved about the dark plot, the fabulous acting, and the human condition portrayed by Eastwood. But as for me, well, I found the characters not believable. Most of all, Kevin Bacon's cop (Sean) was a weenie. I expected a tough cop with a past, struggling to do the right thing. But he knows Jimmy (Sean Penn) murdered their childhood friend and he just shrugs it off to an old pal? An absent wife who calls him on the phone and says nothing? So he does a monologue for each call? What was the point of that? Let me tell you, I wouldn't go to Kevin Bacon's character if I needed my shoes tied. Like I said, what a weenie. Maybe if Sean had displayed some strengths in other areas, he would have been a better character. But he just came off as weak, weak, weak.

Sean Penn (Jimmy) and Tim Robbins (Dave) were better characters. Jimmy's flaws seemed excusable and believable in light of his grief. His small-time tough guy could be of the most dangerous sort. Tim Robbins child-molested character seemed at times to struggle through layers of thick wool to express himself, but it was believable.

Plot-wise, the whodunit part was no mystery. DH guessed it before the movie was half over. So, all in all, I'd say that if you're interested to watch it, rent the video. Spend your hard earned movie theatre dollars on something else. By the way, if you have a different opinion, drop me a comment. I really don't like to dis a movie - tell me why it worked for you?

Well, time to get my stitching together for the Super Bowl! I've been looking forward to this all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment