Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Here's today's "In Other Words" meme....

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.
-- Hannah Whitall Smith


Oh Jeez, if this is the case, I am such a failure at giving advice!! It's an awful habit, but I am, without a doubt, the Queen of I-Told-You-So. I know it's not a good trait, but can I help it if I'm right most of the time?? (she said with her tongue in her cheek)

No - seriously, sometimes I almost bite my tongue off to avoid an I-told-you-so, and even then it still slips out. Especially with my kids. Not exactly endearing.

It must be a family trait. When I get together with my brothers and sisters, it's almost laughable that we all have to be "right". Always. All the time. We waste so much time trying to prove we're right about something that we often don't converse about much else. Being that I don't live near my sibs anymore, I really notice it a lot. They argue and fuss, and since I'm not usually involved in what the fuss is about, I get to sit back and watch. It's kind of funny. Except I do the same stuff. Not so funny anymore.

If anything, being a parent has helped me temper this annoying trait. Nag, nag, nagging will make my kids shut down quicker than Windows with a fatal error. I've been working on saying it once, and letting it go. Sometimes I'm successful. Sometimes I'm not. Sometimes I repeat myself way too many times. It's annoying, I know.

But listen to what my mom does....My mom repeats herself with almost every sentence. Ever since I've noticed it, it drives me crazy. Drives me crazy. She talks just like that. Just like that. She almost never says anything once. Never says anything once. And I mentioned it one day to DH, and now when we're together with her, together with her, we're always looking at each other and smiling. Looking at each other and smiling. Poor mom. Poor mom.

Aughhhhh! Make it stop! I love her to pieces, but conversation is so difficult!

Well, how did I get here from there? Back to the quote. Yep, I agree with those wise words. If only I could practice them...

No comments:

Post a Comment