Thursday, March 04, 2004

I went to see The Passion of the Christ yesterday.

(Pause)

I just didn't get it. I was disgusted. I was nauseous. I was definitely not moved. And I left the movie feeling like a dope. All around me, people were crying - no, weeping - and saying how powerful and emotional it was. I was only sickened.

Here's my two cents, and it's my blog, so maybe it'll be 4 cents. I didn't need this movie to bring home to me how awful and painful and sadistic Christ's crucifixion was. I knew that already. I didn't need to see Jesus reduced to hamburger to understand it.

I didn't see anti-semitism either. This was God's plan. The biblical characters really were helpless in the face of God's plan. The only evil I saw was the character of Satan, and his quiet, patient evil was very chilling. Maybe that's the message I can take from this movie. Evil waits patiently for you. God gives us a choice about how to think, feel, and behave in our lives, and evil will patiently wait.

I feel like I've been talking a good bit about religion lately. Maybe because it's Lent and a time for examination? I don't know. Sometimes you just need to sort things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment