Friday, March 12, 2004

I'm going to try a new writing prompt. This sounded like a unique idea. It's a site called In Other words... Basically, a quote is posted twice a week and then bloggers are invited to comment, agree, disagree, etc.

Here's this Tuesday's prompt:
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.
-- Christopher Morley

Hmm, what do I think of this??
Maybe I'll start at the end of the quote, and say that I agree. Unanimity of opinion rubs me the wrong way in most things. For instance, last night my family and I were watching basketball, and the sportswriters were sympathizing with Notre Dame because they had just lost in their regional playoff game. Sarcastically, I said "Awww...poor Notre Dame." So DD asks why we don't like their team. And DH replies, "Because everyone else does." (I gotta love that guy) Of course, liking or not liking Notre Dame isn't a particularly important issue. This is just an illustration.

In important matters, I think unanimity just a mask. The more unanimous a decision or mind set seems to be, the less likely a differing opinion will be offered. So I believe that differing views about things are out there, but just not being expressed. And we would be lessor for not hearing those views. You may still agree with the majority, but without careful weighing of other views, how strongly can you feel about your position?

If you seek unanimity in all matters, you're going to lead a frustrating life....
If you are always a part of unanimity, you're going to be very dull.

As to the rest of the quote, other than just setting up the last sentence, I don't see that these things are entirely possible. Like, I don't know that I could be silly every day. I guess that's middle age setting in. And Jeez Louise, if I put that out for my teenagers to read, I'd be in the principals office every week. So maybe silly isn't the right adjective. How about "different". Instead of thinking something different from everyone else everyday, how about thinking about something in your own head in a different way?

That being said, I'll still always dislike Notre Dame sports.....Some things will never change. Nope, I'm not even gonna try to rethink it.

And by the way, if you agree or disagree with any of my views, well, that's why I have a "comments" link! I will absolutely not get offended.

Stitching....Ha! I'm stitching vicariously thru other bloggers this week. Thank goodness you all are out there, or I'd have no lovely stitching (finished or partially finished) to look at.

BTW, I love Jen's Stitchers Five Meme, and I hope to catch up this week and next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment