Monday, August 02, 2004

Maybe it's time to update my sidebar a little. For those of you who may be wondering....No, I'm not sleepy all the time. I think I was sleepy back in June and I just never changed it. And I gave up on the Anita Shreve book a while back. Snore. It was disappointing, because I loved The Pilots Wife and The Weight of Water.

I took DD to camp yesterday for the week. Honestly - I don't know where she gets this camping thing. The idea of spending a week in a tent with all the bugs, noise, animals, and other discomforts is not appealing to me in any which way. And DH's idea of roughing it is checking into a hotel with skimpy towels. Colleen is a mystery to us most of the time. She is very artistic, has a lovely singing voice, and is an even tempered, friendly young lady. She obviously does not belong in this family. Well, she is kind of messy. OK, so some of our genes are showing thru.

I am pitifully (is that a word?) unable to come up with things to write lately. So - - I turned to a prompt again today. I like "In other Words", and here was today's quote:

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
-- Leo Buscaglia


Ahh - isn't that amazing? The power that we wield by the smallest comment... It's something that has taken me years to learn, but I'm still not great at it. Here's the thing - I talk to strangers all the time. If they're doing something great or look great or appear interesting, I say so. And most of the time they look at me like I'm insane. And while I really don't care if they think I'm a nutcase or not, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Usually my comment/compliment earns me a wide-eyed expression, followed by a laugh or a thank you. So I'd really like to avoid that first look on their face that tells me they think I'm off my meds.

Case in point: I was out shopping earlier this spring, looking for dresses to wear on our cruise. I was having an absolutely sucky time of it. I hadn't clothes shopped in ages, meaning I'd avoided all three-way mirrors and so the sight of my butt staring at me in a three-way mirror was HORRIFYING. You know those pictures of the biggest pumpkin at the fair? All I needed was orange underwear. But I digress.... I was having a terrible day, but I went into the dressing room with what I hoped was a butt-diminishing dress, and came across this woman in a long formal dress and she looked stunning in this dress. I did a double take and could NOT pass quietly. So I told her - Wow - That dress looks absolutely perfect on you. And I was met with the look you give a crazy person. So I quickly apologized - didn't mean to intrude, but the dress was so complimentary toward her, and really- - - -I'm not a stalker or anything. And then she laughed and thanked me. (and she bought the dress) And you know what - all of a sudden the size of my rear end didn't matter anymore to me. My day didn't suck any longer.

I guess I don't care if people think I'm nuts. Or maybe they think I'm a busy-body. It's no skin off my teeth, and maybe I've said something to make you smile. You all will just have to deal with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment