Wednesday, November 03, 2004

I haven’t yet discussed politics in this blog, but sometimes a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do.

I’m at a loss for words. I felt that way this morning with news of the election. My heart is sad. Sad for what will come in the next four years. Sad because I believed that there was a vast silent majority who feels the way I do in matters of war, gun control, religion, sexuality, morality, equality, and fairness. I guess I was mistaken. Don’t get me wrong. Being in the minority won’t alter my beliefs. It just makes me sad. And makes me feel like we’re going to hell in a hand basket.

I cheer up by reminding myself that our great country has been in existence for 228 years, and we’ve survived many types of leadership and struggles, so we will certainly survive 4 more years of this president and his cohorts. Well, some of us will. If I were a soldier in Iraq or a policeman facing an assault rifle, I’d be taking my chances.

Now here comes the big question. Am I worried enough about the future of our country and steadfast enough in the beliefs that I hold that I would become active in those causes? Let’s face it – I live in redneck country. I would lose lots of friends. Probably also have to leave my church. People might be shocked to learn what I believe. Not because I’ve been deceitful. Just because I’ve been quiet. Monday evening a friend jokingly asked me who I was voting for, and was more than surprised at my answer. A “discussion” followed, (him listing “facts” for me – yeah, right) and I just knew to be quiet. Well, maybe the time to be quiet is over. I say maybe. It’s a huge decision.

Ah well, more later. Just had to get this off my chest and later I’ll move on to the lighter topics of needlework, parenthood, and soccer.

No comments:

Post a Comment