Wednesday, July 20, 2005

So - after our Deep Creek escape, and after the kids got home from their respective camps and retreats, we packed up for a quickie trip to Philadelphia for a visit to the parental units. (I hope I’m not the only one who gets that reference….)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Mom and Dad celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary Saturday. I’m awestruck by that. It’s huge. And let me say that I could smack my sister who, as the champagne glasses were being raised, turned to me and said, “Now Lee will give the toast.” Seriously. That sort of thing calls for a smack in the head.

My brother did the same thing to me at his wedding rehearsal dinner, but at least he gave me 5 minutes to prepare. As the meals were being served, he asked me to say the blessing and I of course said yes, but just give me a few minutes. Not a problem – it takes a while to serve 30+ guests. And by then, I had some thoughts I could string into a prayer. But not my sister. Can you say impulsive? So what could you do? Ask them to wait patiently with champagne glasses in their hands while I ponder a toast? So my toast sucked. Trite and Lame-o. Luckily, only family members were there to hear it. I think I’ll write them a toast and send it in a card. I really do have some sentiments and blessings that would have made a lovely toast. They’re all here on the tips of my fingers….just not on the tip of my tongue.

Oh well, the day was really sweet, and I hope my parents enjoyed their picnic. With my dad’s condition, a small family gathering was the best choice (cognitively and physically). We had started to plan a banquet a while back, and that later changed to a family dinner at a restaurant, but then it became clear that any big shindig would have been too stressful for him. So this was a low-key, informal deal. ….sigh….. Not how we thought life would turn out for mom and dad.

Did you ever listen to the Josh Groban song, “You’re Still You”? I swear it was written about someone with Alzheimer’s disease.

Stitching? Well, I started Flip Flop days and it’s so much fun!

And some bad news….it looks like I’ve lost my Souvenir Sampler. Yikes. I remember that I packed it when I went to Edinboro for the soccer tournaments, but I haven’t seen it since then and it doesn’t seem to be in the house. This is bad. Time to send up the St. Anthony prayer again….

No comments:

Post a Comment