Wednesday, July 06, 2005

We had a great weekend - Really, one of the best of the summer! I made some headway in the weeds that I call a front garden. It's looking pretty nice again. Not to brag, but I've been pretty decent at my choice of plants to get blooms through most of the summer. In June I had daisies and daylilies, (which smelled heavenly). Now I have pink and white astilbe and blue balloon flowers. And in a couple of weeks, the black-eyed susans will take over. Then the sedum will bloom, and I'll plant mums in late summer. But I really, really need something red. I planted beebalm, but I have no idea where they went...I thought I saw one, but the next time I looked at it it was dead. I didn't even touch it! Any suggestions?

The back garden. Well. The garden fairies didn't visit me. It's still a mess.

Had friends over to play cards Sunday night. We had such a good time - I love to play cards. Especially when I win! Except Dave won. And he doesn't even like cards. Doesn't it always work out that way?

And our Fourth is always fun. If you've been reading here for a while, you might remember that our community does a big July 4 day. We have a bike parade and then field races (running, but sack races and wheelbarrow races,too). And water balloon tossing and ice cream eating contests, and then water races (swimming and boating). It's so great for the kids, and then the grown kids always come back and bring their children - so there are generations of families playing and laughing and it's a very cool thing. By around 3PM it breaks up, but lots of us pull out our beach chairs and spend the rest of the day on the lake. Honestly, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Now it's back to reality...at least until next weekend.

I'm having some difficult work days, with more ahead. Nothing is ever easy. I just keep reminding myself that it's called "work". Not play. Not that it makes me feel any better. The really stupid thing is that I'm more or less my own boss. So I can't even complain about a sucky boss.

And a short message for Judy (commentor on July 1) - I tried to email you, but I don't think it worked. Colleen was still too young for the CIT program at Redwing - but she spent two weeks at a camp program called Western Fun and Games and she had a fabulous time. If you'd like, you can email me at eliese58 at gmail dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment