Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Good Lord, how many more days till school starts??

I’m losing my mind.

And I need every precious brain cell.

I need a schedule. I need a few reliable, uninterrupted hours each day to get the barest minimum of work done. I need some quiet. I need my kitchen to be empty for a couple of hours. I need a vacation!

Soon….soon. The kids leave for band camp in a couple of Sundays, so we’ll drop them off at the bus and then we’re zooming to the airport for a flight to Myrtle Beach. It should be fabulous. Dave will play golf, I’ll read, stitch, and sleep. We’ve planned a couple of quiet days and an evening in Charleston for dinner and music. It’ll do me a world of good.

Oh – except I was really, really bummed to find that The Sampler House had closed. I was looking forward to spending some time and stash cash there, but evidently it closed its doors in January of this year. Whooooof. I think that’s a big hit to the gut of stitching commerce. Wasn’t it one of the oldest shops in the US? If not the oldest? I wonder what happened? If anyone knows, please leave a comment or write in your blog.

In other news, I went to referee camp this past weekend. My legs still hurt, but it was a good experience. The instructors were referees at a very advanced grade (some even at international games), and their insights were wonderful and useful at any level. Even for U6 rec league games. So – after two days of soccer games and instruction, I've recertified and I feel good to go for fall. Except for my old-lady-legs. Did you know that there's a woman lacrosse referee in the US who is 80 years old woman? I think that's amazing.

At dinner Saturday night, a friend asked why I was doing this. Was it a lifelong dream or something? Honestly, I don't know. It's more like I did it on a whim, but now it's a challenge. I know that sometimes I decide to start doing something, and even if it's not quite what I expected, I hang on like a dog to a bone.

I think that's what's going on here. I know that being a referee is much harder than I thought, and I know that I'm not as good at it as I thought I would be nor as good as I'd like to be, but to give up? No. It's the only thing (outside of raising teenagers) that feels challenging to me right now. So maybe that's a good thing. Or maybe I'm truly insane.

Needless to say, I’ve been either too tired or too distracted to pick up a needle. Life goes on….

No comments:

Post a Comment