Thursday, October 27, 2005

Let's not be crybabies...

Today's Stitching Blogger Question asks us to consider this question: Have you ever stitched something as a gift and later realized that receiver doesn’t respect your stitched gift a bit (for example it’s never on show, or you have other reason to suspect that it may even be nonexistent or at least placed in some dark storage room corner)? If so, what have you done? If you’ve been lucky enough to avoid such people what would you do if it’d happen to you?

First of all, maybe "respect" isn't the issue. Maybe they just don't like it. I love quilts, but I've seen some butt ugly quilts. I respect and appreciate the work of the quilter, but no way would I display that in my house!

Quite frankly, I figure a gift is a gift is a gift. They can do whatever they like with it. Sometimes you hit a home run, sometimes you don't. And then I don't sweat it. I don't ask about it. I just don't give that type of gift to them again.

I mean, come on...we've all gotten gifts that the giver was thrilled to give us, but we don't quite understand. Afterwards I've asked myself, what on earth ever made (insert name here) think I'd like that?? So chances are that in 47 years, I've made some gifting mistakes too, whether it was something stitched or not. But here's how I see it - - - I'm not 10 years old anymore, bugging my mom about putting the pink ceramic swan-shaped ashtray that I've made out on the table for all of her guests to see. Otherwise, she doesn't love me, right? Time to get over it.

But now I'm going to take a cue from Anna and turn todays SBQ into a positive post. But I have to think about it a little so I'll be back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment