Wednesday, December 21, 2005

A friend and I were talking about today being the Winter Solstice. We both thought that if we had our choice, we'd spend today curled up on our couches, under a blanket, with a good book and a movie or two.

But since that ain't happn-in, (visualize the head-wag here), I decided to ponder on this quote I lifted from Mainely Stitching.

"We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September,"
I heard a bird sing
in the dark of December.

Oliver Herford

Something about December and January puts me in a mood to escape, so it seems like I read a lot of period fiction around then. My favorite escapes were stories of King Arthur and the Arthurian legends. Well! I may have found a new favorite! Last week this wonderful young woman at the bookstore turned me on to stories about and around King Henry VIII. I'm almost finished The Other Bolenyn Sister by Phillipa Gregory, and I'm enjoying it like crazy and will hate it when it comes to its inevitable end. There are interesting snippets about needlework in the book, too.

I have a book about Josephine Bonaparte, too. I hope I like it just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment