Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ho-Hum

Such a boring life I've lead this past week. I've been working on Souvenir Sampler, but not enough to post and certainly not enough to even hint that I was a good Olympic stitcher. But like I've said before, March Madness is more my thing, and it's just around the corner. I'm looking forward to some great Big East basketball, and quality stitching time.

Here's something I've been meaning to post about, and with tomorrow being Ash Wednesday, I should make my thoughts to gel into a post. I'll be going all heavy on you here:

There's this blog that I read regularly, Going Jesus. Originally, I linked to it via another blog because she has a hilarious collection of bad nativities, Angel Kitsch, and Holy Week Kitsch. So I started reading and got hooked. Over time, I've discovered that she writes in a way that I like: Irreverent, yet faithful. She pokes fun at the absurdities of the (blank) church, (insert church name of your choice), but takes the faith itself seriously. Maybe it's my sarcastic nature, but that's right up my alley.

So, two weeks ago I popped over, and read this post:

"It's early yet, but I realized today that I'm really looking forward to Lent. I love the depth of the liturgy in Lent, the way it tries to get us to flip over the rocks and see all the squirmy sightless things that live under there. The challenge is to see them with an understanding of grace, which is what holds the despair at bay.

There's a little thrill in facing something squarely and realizing that the opportunity for transformation exists. Watching an old pattern or habit peel away and lose its power is a tiny bite-size Easter, an unexpected place for life to break out. I see it all the time, if I remember to look."


This is the part that blows me away - That very morning I had just gone back to Weight Watchers. Yeah, I have this itsy bitsy weight problem, if you call an extra 25 pounds itsy bitsy. So I came home and I was pissed off and frustrated with myself, and dreading the weeks and weeks ahead. And then after I read that - not so much. It's as if reading that post tripped a switch in my head, and I'm ok with this again.

Talk about receiving Grace? That's a Lenten Experience. Well, Pre-Lent, anyway. But I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment