Sunday, May 28, 2006

Well, we got the bad news yesterday - we won't have use of the lake all summer. Next year is questionable, also. We're all pretty sad, but there is no question that this dam repair must be done and done correctly.

So for the time being, you can call me MudPuddle Stitcher.

This has made me realize how much this body of water is a part of my life. Of course it's beautiful, but more than that, it's a gathering place. There are always a couple of friends or neighbors by the water, and we'll miss each other this summer. I know we should just invite each other over, but inviting people over just isn't the same. At the lake there's no pressure. No pressure to entertain - the water takes care of that for you. No guest list - whoever shows up is your company. And most the most important thing of all, there's no need to clean your house! You just walk out your door with a chair, sunscreen, and maybe a book and some snacks and drinks and you leave your messy house behind.

Oh well, we'll keep a good thought for next year.

In-house soccer ended yesterday, so I'll be getting my Saturdays back again. Actually, I didn't referee much for them this year. They certified 17 new referees, and since they needed experience, I only had a couple of Saturdays. But anyway, this year went very well. My instincts must be getting better, because some days it seemed as if the kids were moving in slow motion. I had a little trouble yesterday though, because for the final championship game we used a two man system. I had never done that before, and I became rather tentative. My visual angles were way off, and I was uncomfortable. I wish I had used that system before a championship game, but what can you do? Just make the best of it.

In stitching, I've been working on Souvenir Sampler, although I'm as slow as molasses, but I think I'll finish one more motif and then I'll switch gears.

And now for this week's SBQ:
What is your favorite specialty stitch? Which one is your least favorite? Why?

Wow, there are so many neat and fun stitches out there, but I'm always happy to see the Bargello stitch.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

With the right color combinations and variations in height, this stitch can have such a neat visual impact in a band sampler. Or it can be used all over, like these:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I just love that look. It must be the geometrical look that appeals to me, because it crosses into my quilting tastes, also. I love a great Log Cabin Quilt, or a Trip Around the World quilt.

Without a doubt, my least favorite stitches are Hardanger Picots.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

First of all, I stitch them badly. Very badly. They look like sick little lumps. Secondly, they seem like so much work for so little reward.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment