Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

There’s this line from a song on Roseann Cash’s Black Cadillac album: “I miss the sounds of Tennessee and the smell of heavy rain.”

I always think of that line when I go out for a morning or evening walk, because while I don’t live in Tennessee, summer in the mountains of Pennsylvania is pretty comparable. Such a smell. Just when I decide that I can’t take another moment of the heat and humidity, I smell that smell and it’s heavenly. You guys in dry climates don’t know what you’re missing.

I remember a couple of years ago, DH and I went to Las Vegas in early May. We came home on the red-eye, so we were just leaving the Pittsburgh airport as a misty dawn was breaking. I swear to you that as soon as we stepped out the door and into the parking lot, we smelled flowers. Not car exhaust or jet fumes. Flowers.

Day Two of peace and quiet. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment