Saturday, October 14, 2006

Well! I get to answer my own SBQ!

As we all know, stitching in the winter can really be rough on the hands. What do you do to treat your hands well in the cold winter months? Do you have any suggestions for creams or soaps? Or perhaps a special regimen that you would like to share?

This was on my mind because I deal with yucky hands all winter long. Everyone says that working with fabric dries out your skin, and linen can seem particularly rough on my hands sometimes. And truth is, I think that shuffling paper all day is just as drying. My hands dry out, the skin gets brittle, and my knuckles are red, red, red. The split skin on my fingertips is the absolute worst, and when that happens, I haven't found anything more effective than bandaids and neosporin. And truly an ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure. So as for prevention:

As for soaps, I have to steer clear of cheaper soaps and way way far away from any Dial products. Last winter I used J/A/S/O/N Tea Tree Satin soap from GNC, and my hands seemed to fare better. Then I ran out and couldn't find it for a while, so I used Softsoap lotion soap with Shea butter, and it was ok, too, but I liked the GNC soap better.

I like a light cream for my hands during the day, like Zim's Crack Creme for Daytime use. But when I've had lots of cooking and/or cleaning to do (a.k.a. holidays!), my hands get abused and I have to take extra steps.

At bedtime, I run my hands under warm water for a while. Just enough to warm them up and make the skin more supple. Then I use a liberal amount of "Night Use No-Crack Cream", made by the DuMont Company. Then I cover my hands with white dermal gloves and go to bed. Sometimes this helps in just one night, and sometimes it takes me several nights to see any relief, but my hands thank me for it!

I've tried Neutrogena and Burt's Bees and some of the Bath and Body Works products, but this No-Crack cream works best for me. It's simple, and relatively inexpensive, and I swear by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment