Saturday, November 04, 2006

Okay, here is the squirrel story I promised yesterday. Keep reading for my follow-up:

OIL CITY, Pa. - Letter carriers occasionally have to deal with angry
dogs or maybe even a spider's nest in a mailbox, but a mean
squirrel? Barb Dougherty, a 30-year Postal Service employee, said
she was attacked and bitten Monday by a squirrel while delivering
mail in Oil City, about 75 miles north of Pittsburgh.

"It was a freak thing. It was traumatic," Dougherty told The Derrick
in Oil City. "I saw it there on the porch, put the mail in the box
and turned to walk away and it jumped on me."

The animal ran up her leg and onto her back, she said.

"I eventually got a hold of the tail and pulled it off me,"
Dougherty said. "No one was home at the house where I was delivering
the mail, but the neighbor lady heard me screaming and came over."


You know what - I have a similar story. Last year Dave and I were out for a walk with the dog and we came upon this squirrel that just refused to leave our path. This was one hinky squirrel. It just stood there, blocking the road and looking at us sideways out of one eye and kind of standing on its tiptoes. Even our big, strong, labrador retriever started to hide behind our legs.

So...we two adults and our 85 pound dog turned around and walked the
other direction. We were laughing about it, and we felt pretty stupid, but it was one of those times that nature just tells you DON'T FOOL AROUND HERE.

And now I feel vindicated! Thank you, Oil City Squirrel!

No comments:

Post a Comment