Tuesday, December 05, 2006

More cleaning saga

This isn’t exactly “tomorrow”, as I promised in my last post. I could say that it took me almost a whole week to fully recover from cleaning my dear daughter’s bedroom, and that might be close to true…but not really. Quite honestly, I don’t know where the time goes.

Colleen’s room wasn’t nearly as fascinating as John’s, unless staggering mountains of junk and trash are interesting to you. I found several of the things that had gone missing from my office/sewing room. Like all of my tape measures, rolls of packaging tape, and my Loran stand.

I’ve decided that I’ll never buy another bottle of body lotion for her. Every time I moved something, it seemed like body lotion fell out of it, until (and I’m not exaggerating) I had amassed at least a dozen bottles/tubes/dispensers of the stuff. Her skin should stay baby-soft well into her eighties. So here’s an insider tip: This may not be a good time to buy stock in Bath and Body Works, because its major purchaser has been cut off, resulting in a sharp dip in their sales. Trust me….

But anyway, both kids returned home to clean rooms, new plastic underbed containers, and neatly folded clothes. And yes, they were actually grateful. Colleen reacted with squeals of happiness, and John gave me a grunt, and has made his bed every morning since his return and has actually sat on his bed doing homework. If that isn’t gratitude, I don’t know what is.

I spent most of the weekend decorating for Christmas, and discovering that most of the lights I use on our garlands and wreaths were burned out. And the light up stuff for the lawn is kaput. So Dave and I were shopping Saturday night.

I had heard on the news that (evil)WalMart reported disappointing sales over the holiday weekend, but if they were disappointed then, I imagine that they were crying in their shitty Sam’s brand coffee last weekend. And here in Fayette County, they weren’t the only ones.

While looking for our lights, Dave and I went to Kmart, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Target and you could almost hear your footsteps echoing in the aisle. And it was the first of the month…Welfare checks and Social Security checks were all out, usually meaning crowds and traffic for Fayette County, but not this month. Where were the shoppers?

To be fair, I didn’t go to the local mall. Maybe everyone was there. Maybe I’m actually the last person in a 50 mile radius who hasn’t purchased their lights and decorations already. I mean, they’ve been in the stores since mid-October, so I must have missed the rush.

Stitching! I finished “You’re a Star”! I think I finished it a little over a week ago, but I haven’t taken a picture yet – I want to finish it into a pillow and I already have the perfect fabric. I might finish it as a tuck pillow, because I like the fabric so much.

And with that stitching complete, I finally began Jan Houtmann’s Tree of Life, without guilt. To remind you...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

It’s lovely, rhythmic stitching. But it’s really huge. So I have a question:

What's the best way to handle all of that fabric?? I stitch in-hand and I worry that this nice 36 count white linen is going to get worn and dirty before I’m anywhere near done.

This is also my first project with silk. I don’t think it’s washable?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment