Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Here are a few things I've been thinking about while I've been cruising through some of my favorite blogs.

I really liked the 6 Weird Things About Me posts. Oddly enough, I found most of the weirdness to really be quite charming. It makes us....us. It's funny. There are many things that we'd probably write that we'd never actually speak about. Or maybe it's that nobody IRL ever asks us. Whatever. I think you all have charming and quirky things about you and now I'm glad I know them.
*****
Cathy had some interesting things to say about judging other families parenting skills and giving advice. Her best observation was this. "All we can do as parents is raise our own children, try to be supportive of the other parents around us in our daily lives, and hope that our kids won't grow up to knock over a 7-eleven." Simple words, and we all know it's much more complicated than that, but for the most part: You got it, Cathy.

My darkest parenting moments have been made lighter by a kind word from a fellow parent. There have been times that I didn't even necessarily know the other parent that well. Then there were people who I thought were the PERFECT parents, who knew my family was hurting and so they'd confide their imperfections and suddenly my problems didn't seem so insurmountable any more. And they helped me to forgive myself for my imperfect parenting. So I thank God for those people. And I ignore and/or forgive the rest. Hmph. That sure sounds easy, doesn't it? It's not, though.
*****
If you haven't stopped by The Christmas Ornament SAL blog, you really must. This promises to be an awesome collection of ornaments. From simple to intricate, and something for everybody's tastes. (I'm a member, but not off to a very good start after not getting an ornament done in January. At least I can lurk around)
*****
Lots of Blogger folks are jumping ship and going to WordPress. I tried, but because I had switched to the new Blogger version, my archives won't come with me. That sucks, doesn't it? Although I'll bet that in the near future, nobody will be able to access their archives once they're out of Blogger.
*****
I finished Thirteen Moons for our book club. I'm sorry to say that I was disappointed. The ending....well, feh. I'm keeping this to myself though, and I'll be interested to hear what other clubbers thought of it. But in my opinion, it wasn't half the book that Cold Mountain was.
Our book for March will be Snowflower and the Secret Fan, and I started that earlier this week. I'm enjoying it so far, and I'll tell you more about it when I've read further. In the meantime, I may start another blog based on my book club meeting notes. I'll post if and when that happens.
*****
I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl this weekend. I'm going to sit in front of the TV and sew until my butt hurts. Meals this Sunday will be whatever you care to dig out of the refrigerator. I need a day off. And I mean a REAL day off. As in no chores, no obligations, and a day stretching out in front of you just for the taking. So I'm making that day Super Bowl Sunday.
****
I'm seeing so many French blogs with fabulous collections of freebies. Honestly, these bloggers have created some of the most lovely pieces and they simply post them and give them away.
For instance:
Anne-les-petites-croix
Creations Annick Abrial
Nathalie
Petits Points
Atalie
A Mon Ami Pierre
Les Grilles de Maryse

Go take a look and see if you don't think they're great, too.
*****
Finally, I forgot to tell you that Colleen's braces came off last week. This is one happy young lady!

See you after the Super Bowl!

7 comments:

  1. I have thought about moving over to word press just because everyone else was doing it. LOL But as you, I would not be able to move my archives, so I will not be moving. I personally dont have any problems with blogger anyway. I also have truly enjoyed the weird things about people as well and find them great! Oh and Colleen looks beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do let us know when you start your book club blog, Lee!
    Most of the time I'm disappointed with how a novel ends. I've even contemplated writing a book myself, with alternative novel-endings. Should that have gone on my 'weird list'?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the links to the "grilles gratuites". I'm enjoying looking at them and found a couple that I may stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh...parenting...my DD is 24 now and I still worry about her. I've had to come to the conclusion she's an adult now and responsible for her own life...learn from her own mistakes. I feel good in knowing I did the best I could and hope some of what I've taught her "stuck".
    Good for you for having a "me" day...enjoy it (and give yourself permission for more!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, I have yet to do anything with my blog. I didn't even switch to the new version yet. One of these days, my blog is going to go bye-bye and it won't be my fault (okay...well maybe my laziness in moving it will be a contributing factor).

    Enjoy your day off tomorrow. I wish I had a day off tomorrow but I am having company for the Superbowl. I plan on a stitching day next Sunday!!!! I have been busy and my stitching is suffering.

    Your DD is absolutely beautiful. Of course she was gorgeous with the braces too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a smile, congrats to her. Happy Stitching, CJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous smile!
    I always remember that 'no one is perfect' especially when you 'lose it' from being extra peeved. How many times do I have to say-don't toss the football in the house? And I still hear them down the hall tossing it-though they are laughing and connecting (father and son that is).

    ReplyDelete