Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Here's my sampler as of last night. I'm sloooowwww. But I'm making progress. I've added three more rows of motifs, and extended the long vertical one at the far right. I'd estimate that I'm about 2/3 done with this vertical segment of the sampler. I keep telling myself that if I just had a few quiet nights in a row, I could finish this segment. Phht. Who am I kidding? Slow is slow, no matter how many nights you get!

I've been burning through books lately, though. And DVD's. Between the frigid temps and the ice and snow, I've been home most of the time. I get my work done pretty quickly, and then there's not much to do. Well, I could clean but....

For book club I finished Snowflower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See. I enjoyed it, and I'll write more about it in my Book Club blog after we meet in a week or so.

I've just finished another book called The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak. It had popped up on some book blogs and people liked it for the most part, with some even listing it as one of their favorite books of 2006. WELL. What a book. It's about a young girl named Liesel who comes to live as foster child in Nazi Germany. She steals books, and her life evolves around these books. I don't want to tell you much more because I'm not a good book reviewer so I worry about spoiling it for you. But I will tell you that in the first several pages the hair on the back of your neck will stand up and you'll remain in that heightened sense of awareness until the very end. Zusak has written descriptions of human emotions that will stay in my memory forever.

By the way, it's categorized as Young Adult Fiction, if you're looking for it in a store.

Right now I'm reading a non-fiction book about a rescue in Alaska that happened at the turn of the century.In a Far Country, by John Taliaferro, is about a missionary who is asked to drive a herd of reindeer to an ice-locked whaling ship in Alaska. Unless he makes this treacherous 700 mile trip, 200 whalers face certain starvation. So far, it's fascinating, and from me that's saying a lot because I usually can't hang with non-fiction.

I'll try to post tomorrow about the DVD's I've been watching.

3 comments:

  1. Lee, Your sampler is coming along beautifully! Best, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sampler progress is looking lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sampler looks great! Can't wait to see it when it's finished, but keep up the progress reports.
    Was the DVD you like on PBS originally? I'm faintly remembering it. I know 'Upstairs, Downstairs' was big. My mom was into another British show and met the actress at a local bookstore, though the name of it isn't in my head, but it was a funny name.

    ReplyDelete