Thursday, April 12, 2007

This week (or maybe it was last week's?) SBQ:

How do you decide which stitching blogs are worth regular viewings? Are there certain things you look for in particular? Are there things you wish there were more of? Less of? Is your blog a good example of what you like to read?

On the one hand, I view almost everything. Well, let me qualify that: If it has a feed, I subscribe to it and if it's marked with new posts, I read it. If it doesn't have a feed but I like the author, I'll still swing into my Favorites list and visit it around once a week.

On the other hand, I don't read all of them. There are a dozen or so blogs that I read closely. You know - they are the ones that make you say a silent "Yippee, a new post!", and you feel like you know their blog world pretty well.

The rest I tend to skim. There's nothing wrong with them - it's just a blog chemistry thing.

I think that I like a well-rounded blog. Our commanality is stitching,so stitching photos and progress and stories are always attention getters. But I like to hear about your families and jobs and other interests, too. I like writers who express their opinions on a variety of things. And if you are wry or funny or sarcastic, I'm even more interested. We all whine from time to time, but over-whining is kind of a bring down. Same for ranting.

I must admit that grammar can be a deciding factor between a Read-blog and a Skimmed-blog. We all have our pet peeves. I think my biggest pet peeve is.....over use of.....the long strings of periods.....Mind you, I do it, too. If I look through all of my posts, I'm positive that most all of them have one or two dot....dot...dots. I just can't read a post that uses the dot....dot....dot as its sole form of punctuation. There is an online LNS that writes newsletters in this style, and while I like the site, I absolutely can't read the newsletters.

My blog probably isn't the best example of the type of blog that I like to read. I wish I had more stitching posts, particularly about different projects. But that would mean that I'd have to stitch more, and in my imperfect world it's just not possible.

I wish I could be more witty, too. And funnier. Too bad there isn't an online shop for that.

6 comments:

  1. When I got to the description of ellipses as the "sole form of punctuation" I thought, "oh, she must hate so and so's newsletter." And there it was, your confession. I felt so smart! It is true. No matter how rushed you are typing the appropriate period or comma is way less effort than ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee, I loved reading this post, Lee, as I do all your entries. I really have to force myself not to put in too many ...s. I'm very good at ...s. Sorry... :o) My pet peeve? Too many exclamation marks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I'm guilty of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee, I really enjoy reading your posts. I hate site's that cant use aspostrophe's properly! :) I wish I could stitch more too, but it's all about compromise and fitting in all the other important things too! Happy stitching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lee, I just found your lovely blog. I agree with you about blogs. Some posts I read closely and others I skim. I definitely like blogs to have pictures. If it's just words I will rarely subscribe to it. I'm guilty of using the ... too much! I'm trying to be better! :) I use exclamation points too much also. I'm really not that excited in real life. :) Oh and the smiley that another overused item of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops and typos, I usually have way too many because I type too fast and don't alway proofread before hitting send.

    ReplyDelete