Friday, August 03, 2007

Yeah. Well.

So.

I've been torn between writing really lame stuff, or not posting at all. I hate writing stupid stuff, but the silence is becoming very uncomfortable, so here I am. Vapid writing or not.

My stitching is gathering dust. I took it on vacation, but for one reason or another it never made it out of the bag. That's very disappointing, but when I think about it, I never should have taken it. A six-day vacation that involved two days of driving should have given me a clue. But there's no point in dwelling on what I did or didn't do, because we had a good time, and there are only so many hours in a day. Well, for men, anyway. Women seem to be expected to have more hours in their day than the other half of the species.

ANYWAY...Guess what? After a two-year delay, I've finally registered for a stitching retreat! It was kismet. Do you remember that I was telling you before that I had some referee money that was waiting to be spent? I had never spent it. Well, I had the evelope under my monitor and it was marked "$220.00 - Lee's stitching money". (And now you know where I keep my private cash stash.) I saw it there and really didn't think anything about it. It's like rainy day money.

So, I was cruising the online stores, and there was The Silver Needle advertising that their Camp Wannasew weekends were starting to register that week. And guess how much it was?? $220. It was fate. So I found a weekend that would be the most likely to fit in my schedule, and decided that it was now or never, and I registered. I'm going in November. By then I'll have even more money after the fall soccer season, and that additional money will more than cover my car rental and shopping trip.

You're probably saying, Ha. She doesn't even stitch what she has. And now she's flying to Tulsa to buy even more. I know, it doesn't make any sense to me, either, but I don't care. It's more about a state of mind than actual accomplishment right now. And I can't wait. Not only for the stitching fun, but to have a weekend without any family obligations - husband, kids, parents, siblings. I love them all, but keee-ripes I need a break.

DS leaves for college on August 22. What a mix of emotions. On the one hand, he is SO ready to go, and we are SO ready to send him. On the other hand, I think he's a little scared and we're a little sad. But anyway, we started some college-type shopping this week. But he's mostly on his own for the clothing and dorm furniture budgets. I bought some bare necessities - four pair of pants, socks and boxers. Here's how we see it: Any kid who can afford to go buy Guitar Hero three weeks before he leaves for college can certainly afford to buy any new clothes or furniture he may want. Yes. We're the mean parents you've all heard about. However, all I have to do is look at my checkbook and (gulp) see the check that I've just written for tuition and room and board, and any guilt DS tries to lay on me goes in one ear and out the other.

It's a very effective strategy.

Well, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, tomorrow is a golf tournament for DH, meaning he'll be gone all day. In a perfect world, all I'd need to do is show up for a banquet in the evening. No such luck. Maybe in between running a 5K in the morning, shuttling DD back and forth to work, and cleaning the house, I'll get in some stitching before I enjoy my lovely banquet meal.

There had better be one big-ass margarita waiting at the bar for me at 6:00.

5 comments:

  1. We're driving up to University Park on the 24th, taking two cars. Sean's almost a junior and it will be his first time living away from home. I feel the same way you do which makes me feel a bit better, if you know what I mean. I'm sure our guys will do fine.
    Lucky you going to Tulsa! I hope it's a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Silver Needle events always look so fun. I'm sure that you'll have a great time :)

    A agree with you on the money thing. It's amazing how they don't have money when it comes to having to pay for real ("boring") stuff, but somehow can justify buying non-essentials!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have so much fun! Eat some Amish rolls for me. (Oh, and try to get in a car with one of the organizers because you will never find the place on your own.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching retreat sounds great.

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just tell your son sure you'll buy the clothes and furniture, but HE has to foot the tutition bill!! I know that is what my mom would say and I would shut right up!

    ReplyDelete