Saturday, November 24, 2007

A Special Finish

Remember how I said that I was looking for a piece of needlework to dedicate to my dad? Well, I didn't have to look very far.

Before I left for stitching camp, I was straightening my office/sewing room, and this was in my basket of stitched but unfinished work.


I had stitched this maybe 2 years ago, and I kept meaning to find a suitable frame for it, so that I could give it to my dad. I guess sometimes you think you have all the time in the world, and you just don't. And I was so sad when I saw it in my basket. But what to do with it? It was as if I couldn't even look at it without feeling badly. Feeling heartbroken about losing my dad, and feeling pretty mad at myself for being such a terrible procrastinator.

Anyways, I went off to stitch camp and thought maybe I'd find another project to stitch in remembrance of my dad, but nothing really spoke to me. There's lots of Mom and Dad stuff out there, but it all seemed to cutesy. And sometime during that weekend, I decided that it really wasn't all about finding a new project. Just like my life after my dad died can't be about a new life free of grief. It's about remembering what life was like before and during his sickness and dealing with the grief, but letting go of the regret. Grief is bad enough. It doesn't need the pain of regret. And so even through the sadness, I still must find ways to celebrate the life of this great guy - my dad.

So I decided to keep the little band sampler, and I made it a part of this:


I look at this and even though sometimes it can make me cry, I'm happy. I think my dad would be pleased, too.

6 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful tribute to your dad.

    I lost my dad on January 15th this year, he was ill for a few years but it was unexpected.

    A lot of what you have written lately I've identified with. I used to stitch a lot for him, because he was often the only one who appreciated the time and effort put into something.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes - especially when a gift is for a person we love - we wait for for the "perfect" thing - whether it's a frame, or the moment to say "I love you" - and there is no perfect time, the only time is now, and the only thing that is perfect is love...

    I think your tribute to your dad is lovely, and I'm sure in time you will lok on it with more joy than sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a wonderful idea, and so deeply personal. What a nice way to honor your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a terrific tribute to your dad.

    I spent the weekend going through old family photos with my mom. A lot of them were of my grandmother, who died in 2004. I still miss her.

    ReplyDelete