Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Christmas Card Confession

I have to put this out there.

I'm terrible about sending Christmas cards. I don't know exactly when this happened, because I used to be pretty good at letter writing, so Christmas cards were really a breeze. We had friends in distant places, and I had a bunch of pen pals in the US and overseas, and Christmas cards were just like a natural extension of the things I did all through the year. So what happened?

Honestly, I'll bet that I haven't sent Christmas cards in the past FIVE years. And in that time, some friends have hung in there and continued to send cards, but most senders have either become discouraged by my laziness, or else they became lazy, too. (I hope it's the latter situation. Makes me feel like less of a slug.)

So as of right now, I'm going to make myself send five Christmas cards. I'm going to squash down the temptation to make it difficult by writing long, newsy letters, adding photos, or anything else that could give me an excuse to abandon this task as too complicated . I'm going to keep it simple and get it done. Five cards.

And now I have to go, because I'm getting nervous about this already.

3 comments:

  1. I write a little newsletter that I include in our cards. It's mostly about our jobs and travel since we don't have kids or pets. We always do something silly like a "Top 5 Children's Books Read" when we lived with my cousin, or a recipe to share (people have used it!). So it's not like one of those "look at us, aren't we great" Christmas letters. I use labels instead of hand addressing. I don't know, maybe people make fun of us when they get it. I can take it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used labels too. Makes it so much easier! (Okay, and I have an excel spreadsheet to keep track of addresses and I use that for a mail merge to make the labels. Shut up)

    I do a couple at a time when the mood strikes and sooner or later, they all get done. I try to write a little something in each one, but then I start getting bored and just write our names. I figure my in-laws, who write a little Christmas letter, have us covered on my husband's side of the family anyway.

    My advice is to find cards you enjoy sending. For instance, my DH and I are into lighthouses, so every year, I find cards with lighthouses on them to send as our Christmas cards. Makes the task a little more enjoyable and the cards a little more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there fellow Holidailie!

    I'm with you on the Christmas card thing ... keep it simple because next year you could think of putting in some news .... or a tiny piece of your stitching? But not this year - just do it! After all, if you are finding time for the holidailies posts and your very lovely stitchwork then you can manage just a few cards.

    And for my confession, last night I printed out 43 envelopes in fancy font, with seasonal pic; I have the cards; I wrote and printed out the mini news (half A4 folded); so I just need to complete and top and tail and assemble; and then stamp and take to the post office. The final post which sometimes gets me! I love my friends but there are some for whom we shared past experiences but only meet up occasionally these days. Special people nonetheless and worthy of a little something. Please let me know how you get on!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete