Sunday, December 16, 2007

So you won't think I'm a Scrooge

While being sarcastic is my most "normal" mien, sometimes I need to tone it down a little. Like at Christmas.

So to follow up on my Christmas Uglies post, I thought maybe I'd show you some of my favorite decorations. So I don't come off like a total curmudgeonly sourpuss.

First the ornaments. Granted, my tree-topping skills are absolutely pitiful. But lots of ornaments on the tree (not the balls - they're pretty generic) have a special place in my heart. Of the ones below, Colleen made the felt ones, oh, maybe 5 years ago? And John made the little cross stitch one during one of those looooong snow days. I can still see the kids working on them in my mind's eye...So everytime I take them out of the box, I get a lovely memory.



And there are a few decorations around the house that I'll always love. These first two for obvious reasons:


And these two because - well, just because. Sometimes you just can't put your finger on why you love something. But I had always wanted one of these ceramic light up trees, and one year my brother-in-law made me one. It's always one of the first things I put up, and I keep it lit 24/7. It just makes me happy.
And when the kids were little, my MIL gave them this crazy blinkie snowman. If you were here, you'd see it flashing different colors like mad, and at first I hated it, but after years and years of John and Colleen saying how much they loved it, I came around to loving it, too. In fact, I thought about sending it to school with John to decorate his dorm room, but then decided that I just couldn't part with it.

I'll tell you, I have some beautiful Santas and a cool collection of snowmen, too. But if the house caught fire and I could only save a few Christmas things, these would be in my hands as I rushed out the door. Oh - and the beautiful Nativity set that my parents bought us for our first married Christmas. Well, I could throw the snowman out the window because he is made of bouncy plastic and wouldn't break. OK, problem solved.

Whoa. We're having some crazy weather. And the Steeler game is on. So I think I'll make some tea and settle in and stitch. I hope I'm wrong, but I think this may be the last day that I get to stitch until after Christmas. I really hope I'm wrong!

1 comment:

  1. I love those ceramic trees. My grandmother always had one and they just remind me so much of her.

    Sorry about your Steelers today. As a Cowboys fan, I am down as well.

    ReplyDelete