Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Weary of the Wet

Good Lord, yet another day of rain and grey! I haven't seen the sun since last Thursday and it's starting to wear on all of us. I don't usually mind rain. It's a good excuse to stay in, make some tea, and find a stitching corner. But day after day of this makes me crazy.

On the extended family front, last night we finished moving the final bits and pieces of my MIL's belongings out of her old house, because the closing is today. Finally! I know it's been stressful for her, but after several falls down steps in her old home, we knew it was time for her to move. So my family and Dave's brother got together to help her buy a new single story house. She stressed over the move and the sale of the old house, and repeats over and over that it was all too much. She was too old to move. Last night I got a little snarky and said that that may be true, but she was certainly too old to fall down the steps again. Jeez, I know I sounded mean, but the last time she ended up in the hospital with a compound fracture of her wrist and a dislocated shoulder. Not good.

And now I had better spend some time on the phone with my mother. She's doing ok with all of the nuts and bolts of life, but her grief is still so very painful.

We all miss my dad and his gentle soul, especially at the holidays. He just loved the holidays.

3 comments:

  1. I am sure that your Mum will settle into her new house soon. I love your finishes, the hats are so cute. You did a great framing job on your Holly and Ivy Sampler, it it beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, you certainly have a lot of transitions going on in your life this year. Thinking of you and your loved ones and wishing you a calmer 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate too with parents. I think that was a good move for your m-in-l. I was hoping my mom could move into one of those Maris choice places, but not sure if she can afford it though she has a 4-bedroom house loaded to the rafters. I'm sure it will be soon.
    The weather is horrid, I can't even do my outdoor lights yet.

    ReplyDelete