Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Great Procrastinator

Yes, that's me! I finally did something I've been meaning to do for years.

I mentioned our quilt group in my last post. About 12 years ago (maybe more?) a group of my friends met every Thursday afternoon for quilting, stitching and coffee. We used to have the most wonderful afternoons - such happy memories. Anyway, John was in school, but Colleen was home with me, and so she always went with me. The ladies loved her and always had some special treat for her, like a special dessert or a coloring book or game. And she was an angel.

When she was about 4 years old, she started sewing with us. I remember going to Joann's so she could pick out her own floss and some bigger needles. And eventually she would sit up to the table with us, at least for a little while, and she'd just pull something out of her head and stitch it. I kept most of them.

Yesterday I found them again, and when she got home from school, I asked her to pick her favorites, and she picked three. So far I've framed one.

We think that this was one of her first projects, and we think it's a house on a lake. It makes sense - my house is on a lake! We think it's a house, but it could be a boat? No, it's a house. I used to have dark pink rugs.
I love this one. I remember showing her how to do a Smyrna cross stitch to make the snowflakes. And I remember that she told me that the dark blue specks in the sky were stars.
I've framed this last one. I also remember showing her how to do a lazy daisy stitch for the flower, and I remember that she got really ticked at me over it. She thought it was too much work. I love her colors:

My pictures are a little blurry, but will you just look at that fabulous sunshine?? Life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Those are fun pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! What a treasure, she was quite talented at an early age!

    ReplyDelete