Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Party's Over

And a good time was had by all! But I will admit that I'm tired. Bone tired. It was much easier to get married than to plan an anniversary party, that's for sure. Twenty five years ago, my mom probably did all of the work. Now I see what I have to look forward to...And speaking of me and Mom:

So much happened over the weekend. Family began to arrive Friday night, which was perfect because they brought my mom to my house. She was a huge help to me as we prepared the cookout for Saturday night, and by then all of my family was here, with the exception of some nieces and nephews. (Teens and early twenties. I completely understand.) My crazy family stayed till the wee hours Saturday night, and suddenly a good bit of my wine disappeared! My sisters were feeling no pain. Not me though. No way was I risking a hangover for Sunday! I still had too much to do and too little time in which to do it.

Sunday was a whirlwind. Running to the bakery to get the cake. Running to the state store to replace all of the disappearing wine. Moving furniture, setting tables. Then by 3PM, lots and lots of people. I think about 65. Maybe more. Food, drinks, cake, guests, kids...The last guests left (ok - it was mostly my family and my best friend and her husband) at 11PM. Mom, Colleen, and I sat on the bed and talked until well past midnight, and then do you think I could fall asleep?

Monday morning my family and friends came for coffee, then about half of the family left back for Philly, and half stayed to go sightseeing and river rafting. But before they left, we took some photos. I was way too busy on party day. I completely forgot to bring out a camera. But I'm happy to have these from Monday:

That's my family, except we're missing Dave (Golf. What can I say?), and my sister's husband, Tom. (Sleeping. Too much of a good thing from Sunday.) So we have a stand in for Tom (my friend Richard who is second from the left), and a special guest took Dave's place.

Then here's a photo of me and my mom and brothers and sisters:

And here we have me and my oldest and dearest friend (and maid of honor), Mary Lynn:

So after the rels got on the road for wherever they were going, Mom and I spent a really leisurely afternoon on the deck, in the sun, and she read and I stitched. It was good that we rested, because the remaining family and frieneds were back for dinner again on Monday night, (which was great because it helped clean out the refrigerator). The girls laughed in the kitchen while the guys watched hockey. Yup. Another late night. And then everyone was gone by noon on Tuesday.

I'm still recovering. I'm still putting away party stuff, like my roasters and crockpots, and containers and dishes and wine glasses and, and, and....

Now for the next several weeks we'll be going to party after party as so many of Colleen's friends are graduating this year.

It's going to be absolutely lovely to be a guest for a while!


  1. Your anniversary weekend sounds like it was fabulous, if a bit busy. Best wishes to you and Dave for another 25 years together!

    (I *love* the special guest stand in for Dave. Too funny.)

  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to see your stitching! Congrats on 25 years.

  3. Glad you had a great weekend! Nice to see your family too.
    I can try to help you with your gardening questions-if I can't, I know others who may be able to.
    Nah, Sean doesn't even have a steady girlfriend yet! I'd probably would have blogged about her-lol