Thursday, July 10, 2008

A tough day

We had to put our old girl down this morning. Penny was 14 years old, and a part of our family for almost all of those 14 years. Her last few months have been very difficult, and we knew it was time.

She could be ornery.

She chewed everything,

She never came when we called her, unless we were furiously waving a handful of salami. Penny loved salami. And peanut butter.

She was a dumpster diver. Well, a garbage can diver, anyway.

She hated men in baseball caps.

But she had a sweet and gentle soul. She liked people and loved nothing more than to be petted and fussed over. She never once growled or bit or snapped at us or our kids or our guests (well...as long as they took off their ball caps). She would let you do anything at all to her, and she was sweet and trusting all the way to the end. She laid down when I asked her to, and she put her head on her paws, and that was that.

And that's the part that breaks my heart.

17 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart too, here I sit crying and I didn't even know Penny. May she be chasing butterflies in heaven...rest in peace, Penny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lee!!! I am so sorry for your loss. Your greatest responsibility as a pet owner is to make that decision when the time comes, but it's still the hardest thing the in the world to do. Know that a few more tears have been shed for sweet Penny and that good thoughts and big hugs are coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear...I know this had to be one of the hardest decisions you ever had to make. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so sorry for your loss. I have a Penny too, and just reading about your sweet Penny made me so sad. Hugs to you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad! So sorry too. Lots of great memories though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so sad when a family member leaves, but I'm sure you have plenty of happy memories too - Penny sounds like a big character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really sad when you have to do that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am so, so sorry. She sounds like she was the sweetest dog. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to get you thru the hurt and all your lovely memories to ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear about your loss!
    That is an awful kind of pain. I have 2 sick cats now and I know their time is coming.
    I understand what you are going through.
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like she was a sweet dog. Hugs to you, Lee. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear of your sad news. I feel your pain {{{{HUGS}}}}.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hardly anything could be more painful.

    This truly breaks my heart. Sweet Penny... and I didn't even know her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am really sorry to hear about Penny, Lee. I hope that a little bit of time has helped to ease the pain. I know that I'm going through some anticipatory grief with Phoebe's heart condition and I'm so afraid of how I'll react when she goes. My heart goes out to you and your family. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Lee,

    Thank you so much for your kind and comforting words on the loss of Lea. That really helps, you know! While discovering your blog I read about your dog. I am so sorry you have to miss your dog too, only a few days earlier! Losing a pet isn't easy ... I do recognize it: it breaks your heart.

    Take care and greetings, Carolien

    ReplyDelete