Sunday, August 17, 2008

Winding down

Or at least I think I am. Then again, in lots of ways I'm gearing up. So lately I'm that type of person who doesn't know if she is coming or going.

It's a very weird feeling.

For instance, the light at the end of the Long-College-Summer-Break tunnel is getting closer and brighter. Today, rather than spending a lovely cool afternoon on the deck with a needle and thread, I worked with John (DS) at hauling the Mt. Rushmore of Laundry out of his room. Then washing, drying, folding, sorting out the threadbare and the stained stuff, and packing the good stuff. I think it's finished, other than some bedding and buying some basic toiletries and groceries. (He's on his own to pack electronics. No way. I won't touch them.) I'm partly melancholy about his leaving, and partly relieved. The melancholy feeling is because I love his sense of humor and he has a quick wit and intelligence that adds so much to our family life.

So the relief part? I guess it's just a little less of the daily aggravation of living with teenagers.

I mean....do they thing that we love to be told that we're wrong about every blessed thing all the time? Or do they really believe that if they work, then they are entitled to do absolutely nothing around the house because they are too tired?? Like too tired to pick up their own crap spread all over the house?

So yes. I look forward to less aggravation.

As for the gearing up part - Colleen (DD) begins her senior year in just one short week. Fall is always busy for us, with cross country meets for both kids and booster meetings and soccer refereeing for me, And now we'll add her senior project into the mix, and all of the honor society stuff and other school functions and Yes I WILL RUN IN THAT 10K AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER OR DIE TRYING.

Can you see what I mean?

And obviously I haven't stitched a single thing in weeks. I feel like I don't have a creative bone in my body lately.

I sure hope my creative bones come back soon.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Lee!
    I see what you mean!
    I am exhausted just reading about that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, I can't possibly leave a comment, because I'm TOO TIRED and I'm working today. LOL!
    I agree with Erica, I'm tired after having read all that! I hope that things slow down and that you're back to stitching something you enjoy soon.
    I on the other hand am slowly, but steadily cranking out Christmas gifts. Including this one I'm stitching now, an ornament, that SO REMINDS ME OF RONALD MCDONALD. I think I've lost it. Actually, no need to think about it, its a done deal!
    Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, am in a similar place, at least with teenagers. Our son needs to get his gear together soon and get back to college...and our daughter is starting her senior year at high school this week.

    I know what you mean about living with teenagers. We love them, but sometimes it's not easy! ha.

    Hope you will be stitching soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee...thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. :) Well, after a visit with my dear teenage niece a few months ago...I had moments of reflection. OMG...was I that annoying as a teenager?! If my mom was nearby, I'd probably hug and apologize for being a bratty (and oh, yea, always tired and lazy) teenager. Give them a few years when they realize that it's tough taking care of yourself sometimes.

    Thanks for the tips on clothes buying. I'll keep them in mind come christmastime. Hoping the niece liked my selection for her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya, but Sean leaves on Saturday. We were going to follow him up to PSU to help him with his load of stuff
    (in an apt this year), but Bri's dad has a medical issue and we're not sure if he needs us.
    Sean totally does his own clothes-whew! : )
    Good luck with finding down time. I guess you'll have to designate some time for it in the evenings if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave you an award mentioned in yesterday's post. I really enjoy reading your blog and checking out what's new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. That's a lot. I also just find it harder to stitch in the summer in general.

    Good luck with the 10K.

    ReplyDelete