Monday, November 03, 2008

Fall is flying by

OMG, it's NOVEMBER! I swear that I was just sending kids off to school yesterday.

And there are still many, many things going on between now and Thanksgiving, so my next post may say, "OMG, it's DECEMBER!". I hope I don't ignore my blog for another month, though. I miss sharing with you ladies and gentlemen.

Let's see...cross country season has ended since my last post. Colleen ran well at our district WPIAL championship meet - 20:22 and finishing in 40th place out of 294 girls. 2008 was a very competitive year in District 7, so that time wasn't enough to qualify her for States. But like I said, it was a very competitive field of runners, and the girls who qualified from District 7 did very well at States on November 1. So our girl was a little upset at first, but took it in stride as she reminded herself that she had a wonderful season and that it's not the be all and end all in her life. She has many more exciting days ahead that don't necessarily involve running.

Such as Senior Night. That's Colleen in the middle.

We have a handful of college visits planned in the next two weeks, including Kenyon College, Denison University, and maybe College of Wooster and Dickinson. Kenyon and Wooster are among a handful of colleges that have contacted her for their women's teams, and she's anxious to see them both.

I have to say that I love these college visits. I loved going with John and I've looked forward to doing this with Colleen for two years, and now I'm sad that I won't have any reason to keep doing it. So I may start a service for parents who don't want to or can't do college visits with their kids. I'll take their kids, pretend that they are mine, and just keep visiting colleges forever and ever. If they just pay my gas, meals, and hotel, and I'll bring them back the scoop.

I went to Philly two weekends ago. My BIL celebrated his 49th birthday along with the 4th game of the World Series. We partied and cheered into the wee hours of the morning, and so I was a little bleary eyed the next day. But some good coffee and a lovely walk through my sister's neighborhood brought me around pretty quickly, and by the afeternoon I was in good shape for a local stitching GTG on Sunday.

Anna had a few of us over, and it was so nice to simply sit in a room with fellow stitchers and gab the time away. We were treated to a lovely tea. We ooohed and ahhhed over many gorgeous projects, and the conversation ranged from thoughtful to wacky. I swear somebody was fooling with the clock hands because the time passed crazy fast.

The same thing happened last year at Stitch Camp. The time whizzed by. And while I love Camp and GTG's, they always leave me a little melancholy because I know that when I come home, I'm alone again. Most of the time, I don't mind it, but sometimes I really miss the companionship of other stitchers.

Eh. There will be no more whining without doing something about it.

So here's the plan. If you read my blog and if you're from the Pittsburgh PA area or the Morgantown WV area, and if you're looking for an afternoon or evening to share your companionship and your stitching, leave me a comment, or send me an email (in my profile). We could meet in any one of several places and wouldn't it be great?

Gotta go - gas leases, you know.

Maybe a stitchy photo tomorrow?

5 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for some time now (anonymously) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I am an avid cross stitcher and have been for about 25 years. I just wanted to comment that my daughter attended Kenyon College and it was a wonderful experience for her. It's a bit pricey, but you receive an excellent education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I not know that you worked on gas leases? Because you know my friend DD from camp? She works for the state of OK giving people info on their...oil and gas leases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to have people to share your craft with - I'm lucky in that I have found a great group in my home town. They are mostly knitters though, so I'm doing more of that these days, but they do make the proper admiring noises about my stitching, and some of them want to learn to cross stitch :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am originally from your area (Beaver Valley) and would love to get together with fellow Pittsburghers...and I went to school in Edinboro, so I am very familiar with the Meadville/Erie area too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you were able to be in town and I had the pleasure of meeting you! Your daughter is lovely and it sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders, I know you must be so proud of her. I bet visiting college campuses is really fun. Good luck to her as she decides on school. :) Take care, Rachel

    ReplyDelete