Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Done but not finished

I think only another stitcher would understand that title!

I've finished the stitching on the Irish House Blessing, and I'm showing it to you now when it's almost completely finished. In other words, I have most of the materials to finish-finish it, but not quite. So here is a "not quite finished" photo.I did decide to add something under "the fire". The original chart had that area blank, but my eye kept wandering there and feeling like it was missing something. So I did a little bargello stitching. You can't see it in the photo, but the uppermost row is white.

I'm thinking I'll finish it as an easel, and I love that plaid fabric, but I also know that it won't be very easy to work with. The design is kind of primitive, which gives me a little forgiveness if everything isn't completely straight, but the plaid may make it scream CROOKED!

It was a busy weekend. Saturday Dave got it into his head to rearrange the bedroom, and it turned into a big project. On Sunday Colleen and I left for one of her overnight college visits. It was an overnight that lasted till Monday, and we arrived home again Monday evening. She stayed in the dorms, and I stayed at a local B&B. Those visits are fun, but exhausting, too.

Yikes - another week of terrible weather. C'mon Springtime!

6 comments:

  1. What if you used the fabric on the bias? Then it wouldn't be as obviously crooked. I really like that fabric with it. I would try it. I didn't think I'd be able to use a plaid on my niece's Christmas stocking but it came out perfect despite me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well your almost finish is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice of colours. I agree with Anna : the plaid fabric should be used, on the bias - no fear of imperfection !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty! I love the addition of the fire under fire :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the look that plaid would give it, but I definitely see your concern. Do you have enough fabric to take a day or two and just practice stitching with plaid?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece Lee. It's so nicelt stitched up and I love your idea of adding the fire.

    ReplyDelete