Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Finished! And a goofy game

Hi gang! What a great weekend! Dave and I were able to get tickets to Saturday's Pitt basketball game. Fun? Oh yeah. Then we went to Primanti Brothers for a late dinner of Primanti's sandwiches.

What? You haven't heard of the Primanti's sandwich? I'm sad to say that no photo can capture its deliciousness, but here's one I found via Google Images.My favorite is a Cap and Egg without cheese. (capicola, for those of you non-Pittsburghers) Perfect. A Primanti sandwich is a generous helping of meat(s), cheese, tangy coleslaw, tomatoes, and fries all stuffed between two fat pieces of Italian bread. I know it sounds crazy, and it's ridiculously messy. And when you take that first bite, your mouth sings.

Of course, Dave and I have old-timers bragging rights, because when we were in college, we went to the original Primanti's, in the Strip District of Pittsburgh. Back then, there was only one restaurant - a little counter service place that was kind of a dive. No. Not kind of. It was a dive. And it didn't open until midnight, because it served truck drivers who were delivering to the Strip in the middle of the night. And they served college students who had stayed out at bars and parties for way too long. Well, I wouldn't say that we were ever "served". We'd order food, but then we'd all be served whatever came off the grill (usually cheeseburgers), and if you complained, they would say take it or leave it. We would take it. It was delicious anyway, So we were tolerated, at best. We were probably obnoxious.

Oh, I could tell you stories....

But let's move on.

I finally finished this exchange block! The theme was "Red", and this design is from LHN, but I adapted it to fit the block size.

And I saw a blogger playing one of these funny Google games, and there's nothing more fun than seeing your own name in silly situations. So here's the game. Go to Google, and search for "Unfortunately, (your name here). Then I picked my favorites. And they are:

Unfortunately, Lee did not sing on this album.
Unfortunately, Lee required a few stitches from employees.
Unfortunately, Lee has me beat by A LOT in two departments... talent and age.
Unfortunately, Lee’s talents don’t extend to the jumble of cloying Asian-fusion desserts.
Unfortunately Lee's hopes for a top-five finish were dashed.
Unfortunately, Lee forgot to do one teeny, tiny thing that could have helped.

7 comments:

  1. Primanti's has been on Food Channel. The dude and I are looking forward to a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your stories, because they are alien to my every day life customs, and make me learn about foreign habits & culture.
    This Primanti sandwich looks yummy - sophisticated sandwiches are not part of the Parisian culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I gotta say is yum. Wish we had one of these places near us! If we are ever in the area, we'll have to put it on our list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oH man that makes my mouth water... YUMMY When I lived in Ohio we had Panini's a sandwich shop. I used to get a cap sandwich and it had the salw and fries also Gosh I could go for one right now..
    Natasha
    Thanks for visiting me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh....I've seen those sandwiches on sooo many foodie shows and they look sooooo good. They have a version at one of our local restaurants. DH had one a couple weeks ago....I'm sure it's not nearly as good as the REAL THING. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygosh... that sandwich (and fries) looks good!!

    Beautiful exchange block!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, the sandwich looks good but nothing beats a pork roll, egg and cheese on a hard roll in Jersey. Gosh I miss that sandwich.

    Your red block was awesome! Loved that you were able to do the exchange for February. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete