This picture of my new "ort" jar for the Totally Useless SAL, which began a new cycle this Saturday. I could lie and tell you that I'm stitching with invisible thread, then make you a pretty dress with it and make you wear it in a parade. But that would be mean.
Thanks to everyone for all of your help with my red silk problem. This was my first big project with silk, and I've learned a couple valuable lessons.
I'm going to start making U-turns on the back from here on in when I finish the threads. I had started going through a couple of threads, then kind of looping twice around one thread and going through a couple more, but doing the u-turn thing makes more sense.
Also, just to be clear, these aren't hand-dyed silks. It's just Au Ver a Soie (soie d'alger) 7-ply silk, #4624, that I purchased back in August 2006. SO - the comment from Yoyo could be dead on - that maybe humidity got to the bag. After all, I bought it in 2006 and we didn't have air conditioning till 2008, so it's entirely possible that some moisture crept into that little bag.
Sadly, the shop that ordered the thread for me has gone out of business in the past year. I used to shop locally at The Needle Nook in Ligonier PA, and I know they would have helped me with this. They were such wonderful resources and nice people.
Well, I don't mean to kvetch too much over this. It would probably be a big help if I would just stitch a little faster! Or maybe a lot faster.