Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Where have you been all my life?

My scroll rod sets arrived yesterday! And I promptly put Tree of Life between these 28-inch bad boys.
So if you'll forgive me while I gush a little bit...

First of all, I ordered it from Stitches N Things and talk about fast?? I ordered this on Saturday and had it by Tuesday. That's a mail order record, for real. Shipping costs were very reasonable for a package as unwieldy as this. So I'm very happy with this shop.

As for the scroll frame, I found this HandiClamp product to be very user friendly. I easily snapped the plastic clamps onto the wooden scroll bars, added a little strip of quilt batting to guard against deep wrinkles, and I was good to go very quickly. I think they're quite affordable. They cost less than many other scroll frames. Although they're more expensive than the bare-bones sets that you can find at JoAnns or Michaels, it's a much better product and well worth the extra money.

I have to expand on that: I'm glad that I tried the bare bones set from JoAnns, because it gave me an idea of what using a scroll frame was like, and then it helped me to know what I was looking for in a good scroll frame. I don't regret that purchase at all, because I think that the little bit of money I spent on that frame actually saved me a lot of money in the long run.

And now to follow up on the Soon to Be College Girl. This morning I mailed off the enrollment deposit for......the College of Wooster! The long process is finally over, and I think that she's found a gem of a school. After our visit this past Monday, we discovered that it has everything that she needs and then some. Great academic atmosphere in a solid liberal arts school. Nice town. Friendly students. A running program that she'll fit right into and a coach that I found to be very impressive. She warmed up to him right away. Generous scholarship offer that will made it affordable. And last but not least, really good food, including great vegetarian choices. I think she's going to have a very happy four years.

But it feels so far away. Barb, can I move in with you? I promise to make my bed everyday and not mess up the bathroom too much.

Oh - and go to my left sidebar and click on the new Gaelic Storm song that I've just added as a widget. Love it!

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter!! My childhood friend & her mother are both Wooster grads. They loved it!

    Enjoy the scroll rods! May they bring you many happy dances. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same frame... it was the first that i bought... I love it too... I did have one of the plastic snaps crack, am checking on replacements! They make life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but I am so pleased for your daughter that she has found the right place. It must be so exciting. I hope my sonny boy will be as lucky as Colleen - even if the route is slightly different. I wish I were back to my student years and given a second chance...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the HandiClamp frame. I think I bought mine when it first came out so maybe they've made some changes to it by now.

    I'm so happy for Colleen (and you, now that it's settled). I kind of dread the day that my beloved daughter moves away. We are so close and it will leave a big hole in my life. I hope she chooses a school nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy Colleen found a college she likes. Congrats!!
    Your new frame looks great with your piece in it.
    Thanks for your nice comments about Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! Another Gaelic Storm fan. I'm so glad your daughter found a good school. I sincerely hope she loves it there and does excellent in the curriculum of her choice.

    Thanks for the information on the scroll bars. I'm actually in the market for a set and these look at least worth a try. I've got the JoAnn fabrics ones, and I agree: they're not very good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really lovely design. Glad you got a scroll frame sorted out for it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to get a scroll frame but can never bring my self to spend the money. One day, I will do it though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's one humongous scroll frame! Is it awkward to use? Perhaps at first, until you get used to it? I've used smaller frames, but not 28". :)

    Nice that Colleen has decided on a school for next year. It'll be a much bigger adjustment for you than her, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your scroll rods. It sounds that you don't have any difficulty using them.
    Congratulations to your daughter. As far as you describe her new college she will get easily used to it and will like it there. I can relate to your feelings about not seeing her too often in the future. I see my daughter only once a year and that's by far too seldom ...

    ReplyDelete