Friday, May 29, 2009

Ta-dah!

Stitched and finished, and in only a week. I hope my partner likes it.This was BBD's My Gift to You. I used 28 ct. linen that I had on hand. Probably ivory, and the recommended threads (mostly GAST, but one WDW).

The bow isn't attached very well. I liked the idea of putting a bow on top, but I only attached it with a straight pin, just in case my giftee doesn't want it there. It's all about personal taste, you know? If she doesn't like it, it's outta there. If she likes it, she can glue it down and make it permanent.

So - the high school awards ceremony? Happy night, let me tell you! Colleen received several scholarships and awards and we were very proud of her. Actually we were very proud of all of her friends who received scholarships and awards that night, too. We've known lots of these kids for-almost-ever, and even if your child didn't get this or that particular scholarship or award, you were happy for the child that did get it. So what did she get? Financially, I'll tell you that these scholarships should be enough to pay for books for 4 years. She's very happy about that.

But emotionally, there was one scholarship that Colleen really, really wanted, and it wasn't about the money, but because its message meant a lot to her. It was the Lauren Madison Scholarship, which has a lot of history and meaning to any Uniontown high school girl runner, and she got it. The award was presented by her cross country coach and we were all crying at the end. Happy crying though.

So, is there a chance that I'll finish Quaker Alphabet this weekend? I seem to be on a roll....I guess we'll see!

18 comments:

  1. A beautifully finished BBD for some lucky partner ;)
    And many congratulations on your daughter's successes in gaining scholarships. I know that when I went to college that was a huge thing...the scholarships helped ease my burden a little the 4 years I was in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems Colleen did wonderfully, but I am not surprised, you describe her as such a splendid young lady. Congratulations !
    I like your BBD, I stitched it a couple of years ago to herald autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic, it looks great, congrats on such a quick finish. Sounds like the sholarships were a success too. CJ ok;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very nice finish and lovely stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the BBD finish. Congratulations to Colleen and ALL the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your beautiful BBD finish!!
    and congrats to Colleen!! What an exciting evening for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous! I love it! Your stitching, your finishing, it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations to your daughter for the wonderful awards, and to you for the BBD finish which is lovely. Graduation is an emotional time and glad to hear it's a very happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Colleen!
    Congratulations Lee! Beautiful finish. I love the cording. Yep, I bet you'll finis the alphabet this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful piece!
    And what a memorable night for Colleen and your family. Wonderful at the scholarships too. Congrats Colleen!
    (you can still get a few while they are in school too-Sean got two from Barnes and Noble which was nice).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely BBD piece, I wish I could stitch that quickly!

    Congrats to your daughter and her friends, I hope she enjoys college. As a librarian I know there are just never enough books in the library!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful finish and congratulations to your daughter and her friends for all the awards.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful piece. Congratulations on the finish, and to Colleen on all her honors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your BBD exchange is so beautifully finished. It looks gorgeous.
    Congratulations to Collen on all her honors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lee, I found your blog!! I'm so glad that i did to tell you how happy I'm with the piece that you made for me in the BBE 1. :)

    Is the best piece I have got so far from every exchange I have been participating. Thank you so much for this beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete