Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Here is something you should never write in your stitching blog:

"I'm going to cut back on my spending now."
"No more stash buying until I...."
"I'm finished buying for a while."

Because just exactly as those words are sent spinning off into the internets for everyone to read and see, you will be presented with shopping opportunities that never in a million years would have come your way otherwise.

Now remember - I live in the sticks. If nowhere had a middle, that'd be my address. I have to drive 50 miles to get to any lame-ass JoAnns or Michaels store, and forget Hobby Lobby. Way too far. And for the past several years, I've forced myself to be content with internet shopping and a yearly trip to Camp Wannasew and The Silver Needle in Tulsa.

SO - how did it happen that this weekend I have the chance to go to not just one, but TWO nice shops? I know this only happened because I publicly declared that it was time to draw my purse strings. I'm headed East this weekend, and my travels will take me 5 minutes from The Stitching Post in Baltimore, and 5 minutes from Stitch by Stitch in Cape May. Can you feel my pain?

Well, if you think I'm going to let pride and the need to mean-what-I-say stand in the way of shopping in two real stores, then you all don't know me very well.

So after the weekend, I'll tell you at what specific temperature credit card plastic actually melts....

15 comments:

  1. Oh, sounds like you have a fantastic weekend ahead of you. Fun! Can't wait to hear what fun stash you buy.

    Do you happen to know of any good shops in RI/MA? I've never been to the East Coast before and haven't got a clue. If you have any recs, I'd love to hear them.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a great time! I know exactly what you mean. I live about 50 to 55 minutes away from any type of place to shop hobby!

    Please stop by my blog and see the July 17th post as there is something there for you!!
    http://stitchingkorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. YGG!!!! Treat yourself. Save the stash diet for when you're home! I can't wait to see what you pick up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl!!! We are rooting gor you. Have a great time stashing. There is always money for stash no matter what. You will have a heavenly weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm gonna cut back..." is my famous last words...so I try not to utter them :)
    What is the temperature of plastic melting?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lee, you always crack me up. Last time I went in the LNS 45 min. away from me, I had to spend $50. Did I need to? Of course not!

    I'm in NJ this week and thankfully there are no shops close by and even if there were, it would probably take forever to find them because of the traffic. There used to be a shop near here but someone was embezzling funds and they had to close.

    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, were you not aware of the stitching rule that states if your regular geographical location is not in close proximity to a quality needlework shop, you are automatically given special shopping dispensation to purchase should favorable circumstances present themselves? Even if you have previously declared spending off limits? Go forth and purchase new stash. It is your duty as an American citizen to stimulate the economy and support local shop owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply postopone the "spending less" to a later time in the year. Easy does it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time, look forwardto seeing your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Atta girl! Life is short ... shop when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When a rare opportunity presents itself, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never say never!!! Stock up on stuff you need, but especially on what you "don't" need...haha!! That's what they make plastic for :) Enjoy!! We all envy you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha! Too funny! This is a great post Lee! I can see you putting your hands on your hips and snapping your fingers! I'm so excited for you...getting to go to 2 REAL shops!!
    We have Hobby Lobby in our town...but nothing else...so I understand! Have fun girl! Can't wait to see what you get!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WooHoo STASH! Have fun maxing out that card, Lee!

    ReplyDelete