Tuesday, July 07, 2009

My Quaker Exchange and Chinatown

Finished this as a small pillow. The lace is out of a friend's sewing box that I inherited when she was cleaning out before she moved. I think it's fairly old. That button on the right? Camo for a few mistakes...

So now we're back to vacation photos!

So Thursday morning we said goodbye to Bass Lake and headed back to San Francisco, but we stopped for lunch in Oakland. We stumbled upon The Cheese Steak Shop, where we had the best Philly Cheese Steaks we had eaten in a long time. Really! I'd give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

An aside about Philly Cheese Steaks: I know that everyone thinks of Pats Cheese Steaks when they think of that sandwich, but I had never had one of those in my life until after I had lived in Pittsburgh for quite a while. And they use Cheez Whiz? Sorry, none of my Philly neighborhood sandwich shops would have used Cheez Whiz. They used white American. Cheez Whiz, in the words of Theresa from HW of NJ, is skeevy. And for the record, the very best cheese steak isn't actually found in Philly, but at Pat's Lunch, in Stone Harbor, New Jersey. It's on Stone Harbor Boulevard and Pat, who is in his late 80's, has been there since the beginning of time. Let me tell you, if you go, plan to spend some time with him. He's a jewel.

(Sorry. Never get a Philly native started on the subject of cheese steaks)

Back to vacation. The one thing that Dave absolutely wanted to do was ride a Cable Car. So we waited in line behind a hundred or more people, but we were entertained by street performers and it was a fun experience.
We explored the Cable Car Museum a bit, and I think it's a must for anyone who is interested in transportation history. (We've been to lots of car, train, and plane museums)

Then we walked over to Chinatown and saw both the touristy and the non-touristy sections. The food selection in the non-touristy stores was...perplexing. Really. I even saw Chinese people who looked confused. But it was fun. Then we headed back to Union Square so Colleen could do a little shopping and then back to Pacifica for the night.


Tomorrow: The World's Steepest Street, The World's Most Crooked Street, and Fisherman's Wharf!

12 comments:

  1. That pillow really looks so great!!

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures again! Seems like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pillow! Great job.

    I love the vacation photos. It looks like you're all having a blast! LOL about the cheese steak comments. I was born in Philly, raised in northern Delaware, so I know my cheese steaks & hoagies/subs! Ah, my mouth is watering just thinking about 'em! I love Stone Harbor--used to go every year with my childhood best buddy. Great pizza in Avalon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pillow finish, it is really beautiful. The light blue is a nice relaxing color (good for pillows, right?). Next time you are in SF and want to ride a cable car w/o waiting in line, find a cable car stop away from the tourist area. We received this little tip for a fellow who seemed to live on the street, good tip so we did give him a little $.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pillow, and nice job of camouflaging.

    I love little museums--in SF the earthquake museum is worth visiting. Guess I should have said something before.

    I used to get my cheesesteaks from Rosemont Pizza when I was in college. Now I prefer Ricks (was in the Reading Terminal Market now at the Bellevue). And you're right about wiz; definitely provolone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are having fun here in SF - and today with the weather so nice and cool and breezy - its perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying your vacation pictures. I am a native Californian and am always interested in what others like about our state.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pillow! It's so pretty.

    Love your vacation photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on your pillow finish!

    I am loving looking at your holiday photos, the cable car looks like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pillow.

    I'm really enjoying your holiday pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fun trip-someday I'll get out west.
    And your pillow is sweet!
    Yum-love my Philly cheese steaks too. No Cheez Whiz for sure! I don't have a favorite place for them either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know about the cheese steak! I haven't had a good one in years! Not finding them here in TX...lol!!

    LOVE the adorable pillow!! Beautiful finish!

    Great pics! You guys are making this vacation look very fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in awe for this wonderful little pillow. So nicely and creatively finished.

    ReplyDelete