Friday, July 10, 2009

Our last vacation day

So, we had our last day in San Francisco and our last vacation day (insert sad face) on that Saturday. Dave decided not to go back into town with us, because he was kind of towned-out and besides, there was a car show at the bowling alley near the hotel that he wanted to see. (Obviously, you can take the man out of Fayette County, but you can't take Fayette County out of the man).

So, Colleen and I went together and we got off the BART at the Civic Center...and because we were doing all of the touristy stuff and not paying attention to the news, we unwittingly stepped right out into the LGBT Pride Celebration, where my 18 year old daughter got her first look at a live and entirely naked man. Well, except for the hat. So, we walked here and there to see some of the stunning architecture, and even found our way into one building with an interesting art exhibit. But ultimately, between the Naked Man Sighting and the amount of drinking that I saw going on that early in the day, I thought we had better move on.

So we walked up the hill to look at the Victorian houses and made it all the way up to Alamo Park and the Painted Ladies. Beautiful!




Then we headed to Japantown, where I had promised Colleen a sushi lunch. We had a marvelous afternoon just shopping and eating and looking around.

Then back to Union City for a little more shopping and that's where I found the Giant Wall of Silk (in Needlepoint Inc.) Here's the photo again for some of you who may have missed it the first time. Yes folks - that's a wall of silk thread. To. Die. For.

Then back to Pacifica where we had a wonderful pizza dinner at Luigi's and we said goodbye to some of the things we'd miss, including:

Hot Surfers

Stunning Pacific sunsets:

And goodbye to a wonderful vacation with two (out of three) of my favorite people on the planet.

Also, thanks to my new blog friends from the San Francisco area who have chimed in or commented here and there! I wish I had posted about our trip before we left so I could have had some of your advice and ideas. I hope I remember them if and when we go again.

Let's see, will I stitch this weekend? See you Monday!

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful vacation photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos! Alamo Square and the architecture there is some of my favorite.

    Oh no, you were here during pride weekend?! I'm sure you got an eyeful! I usually avoid the city that weekend since it gets crazy!

    I haven't gone into Needlepoint, Inc. in a long time...maybe time to check things out one day. I always find I can buy the silk cheaper anywhere else but the actual shop. Weird, huh?!

    I'm glad you had a great vacation and happy stitching this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great photos!! Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lee--I love reading your blog--you always make me laugh. Loved the description of the parade! Guess that's something you don't see in Fayette County every day (any day!!)...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos. Looks like you all had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a super vacation!! I, like Valerie, avoid Pride Events - especially the Parade - I just keep to my side of the city. I love Alamo Square - and used to live on the other side from where you took your snaps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your photos, i have enjoyed seeing them. Those victorian houses are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, the vacation photos are lovely. I've enjoyed seeing them because I have never been that far west. I have to be honest, though, and tell you that my most favorite photo is that wall of silk. WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am reading your post from ending to beging....So glad you enjoyed your time here in SanFransico, it really is a fun city to explore.

    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a fantastic day! That must of been a shock, the naked guy! Argh!

    That is a wall of silk!!! All I could think of was the sheer cost to have that much and that many colours in stock!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved seeing all your vacation pictures. What a great time you all must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A completely naked man?! How is that legal????

    It sounds like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete