Friday, July 03, 2009

Yosemite!

Tuesday we were all up bright and early for a day in Yosemite. It sounds crazy, but between us we have hundreds of pictures. If you've never been there, I'll tell you that there is gorgeous scenery around almost every single corner. If you have been there, you understand how hard it is to sort through those photos and choose your favorites. But since this was a family day, you all are going to have to put up with pictures of my family in most of the photos.

First stop: Mariposa Grove and giant sequoias.

Then on to Tunnel View.

There are waterfalls everywhere. It was a short hike to Bridal Veil falls.

And later in the day we saw Lower Yosemite Falls. And loads of tiny, tiny people.

We fiddled around a lot in other places in the park, including heading down to the river and taking off our shoes and socks for a little foot refreshment. As in ice bath. That water was COLD! Then the kids wanted to hike the four miles to Glacier Point. We would have gone with them but for the heights and my inevitable panic attacks that would send us all tumbling down the trail again. So instead, Dave and I dropped them at the trail head and we went to the Ahwahnee Bar so that I could have a Lupine Lemonade and steel myself for the ride up to Glacier Point.

And we all made it to the top...

Where, while I was busy patting myself on the back for being so brave and taking pictures, I noticed these climbers on this rock. I think if you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see them more clearly. There are three crazy people up there. Let me tell you, there's not enough Lupine Lemonade on this earth to get me up there.

Meanwhile, my children were completely unimpressed by this. As if it happens everyday in their life. This last photo cracks me up. There's scenery out the wazoo behind them, and they are taking pictures of a common lizard. You could leave my house any summer day and see one of these on the road. Kids. Feh.I'm going to give you all a break from my vacation pictures tomorrow. I'm not working today, and I have three framing projects in the works. Boy - if I can have them finished by tonight there will be fireworks for real!

8 comments:

  1. I would love to visit there. Someday. Guess what? I afraid of heights too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place!
    i loved looking at your photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lizard pictures from Aruba, Bermuda, Florida, and many other places I have been. There's just something about a lizard I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those are wonderful pics!! thanks for sharing :) Looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so jealous Lee--I've always wanted to see those giant sequoias! That picture of the lizard photo session is so funny--reminds me of when my sons did the same thing with chipmunks at Bryce Canyon National Park. You would have thought they had never seen a chipmunk before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't gte enough of your pictures and follow you on your trip. They remind me our own trips through the western states of the US. Unforgettable memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yosemite was wonderfully clear when you were there! For our visit on July 5, the skies were smoke-filled from a small lightning strike which they took advantage of for a controlled burn. It's still an awe-inspiring place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures I love Yosemite such a great place. and the redwoods awesome how HUGE they are.

    Thanks for sharing your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete