Thursday, October 01, 2009

The UFO Museum

After yesterday's post I accepted Chiloe's challenge to find my oldest UFO and tell its story.

What I had forgotten was that over a year ago I decided to purge some UFO's that were gathering dust and making me feel bad. One was a Pennsylvania sampler, designed by Ginger and Spice, and I had started it in 1987 on 20 ct. something-or-other. Haaaated it. If I had kept it, it would have been interesting to look at, but eh. It's gone and good riddance.

However, I'm still hording a couple of really old things. I couldn't bring myself to ditch some afghan projects that I had bought and kitted. So here is my oldest UFO to date, started when I was pregnant with John in 1988. I stitched one single square and then I quit with 12 more to go.I don't know. It's just not well planned. This quilt square doesn't fill up the afghan block well enough, and it looks lost. My mistake. And now I'm being cheap because even though I have no use for anything like this anymore and I don't like the design even a tiny bit, I hate the thought of tossing it because I spent so much money on it. Or at least it seemed like a lot of money 20 years ago. Jeez.

And as far as blankets go, it's itchy. Seriously itchy.

But let's keep moving. These are my oldest Finished-Unfinished projects, also stitched in 1988. I still really like them. I think I meant to sew them together into a bell pull but the aida dye color lots were slightly different and so I put them away and you know the rest of the story. I'm totally going to finish-finish them this year.
Or my name isn't Lee, Curator of the UFO Museum.

11 comments:

  1. Love the PS season samplers, they would look great framed together 2 over 2 with one big mat cut with four openings like a window pane, or even all four in a row. The mat could be in a color that is in them all, like a green. Just saw it when you shared the picture. Beautiful anyway, CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your finished UFOs are beautiful! Can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the samplers too, and totally see your point about the afghan. Itchy blankets should be prohibited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the seasonal samplers. You MUST do something with them, it would be such a shame not to show them off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those samplers are just great! Love them. 1988 is a while back for sure!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, you've convinced me to drag out my ancient (for real) UFO, take some pics and confess on my blog. Maybe this weekend. Or maybe I'll chicken out.

    I remember those little samplers from years ago. They're too cute to be spending time in a drawer or box.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those little samplers are absolutely charming! Finish those up so you can enjoy them girl!!!

    I have a couple of afghans...not a single stitch in any of them though. Wonder why the heck I keep hanging on to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, love 'em both, especially the sampler set. I can't wait to see how you finish 'em off! I tossed most of my UFOs when we moved. PHEW. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. The seasonal samplers are so beautiful. No matter how old a Prairie Schooler design is it's always up to date. Their designs are timeless. I'm so curious to see how you will finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lee...I'm still behind on reading blogs...but girl!! If you don't like the afghan chart you started, I'd use that fabric for another afghan. I know it's not cheap, made my son a Precious Moments one when he was born. Your finished pieces are beautiful!!! I'd frame those separately...start a sampler wall:)
    You've got some good ufo's there girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the unfinished-finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete