Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Full disclosure

About those "first" projects?  Gang, those were the projects that I could find.  Don't go 'round thinking that those were my VERY first stitcheries.  I kind of remember stitching some things and putting them in hoops, trimming them with eyelet lace and hanging them in my house somewhere.  We were very into "country" back then.  But as time went by, they got dirty or faded or I just didn't like them anymore.  So I either threw them away or gave them away - usually to Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

I'd like to think that they found nice homes, surrounded by women sporting big hair and shoulder-padded jackets and leggings that fit down into their shoes.

Hmmm. That kind of brings me to fashion.


Do any of you watch Mad Men?  I absolutely love the fashions on that show.  People dressed so elegantly in the 60's.

There was a time that my mother had a wardrobe that was fabulous.  (That changed after my younger sister was born and then our family grew from two kids to five kids in what seemed like overnight.)  Still, Mom tried.  And there were certain codes.  For instance, she wouldn't be caught dead in John Wanamaker's unless she was wearing a dress and gloves.  It was the 60's and there were standards.  There was a "look" for places like Wanamaker's and a "look" for Woolworth's.  Totally different.

But back to today?  I love those 60's clothes, and they certainly aren't hard to find in stores.  But I find that I'm still pulled towards fashion that has that 80's influence!  I know....it's nuts!  So I think I'm going to be in tab collars, cardigans, golf shirts, trousers and blazers until I'm ancient.  What's one step beyond a fashion rut?  A fashion grave, I guess.

Ewww.  Sometimes I scare myself.

5 comments:

  1. I was a kid in the 60's, and I remember these clothes well. Stockings, girdles, slips...seemed very mysterious to me at the time. People knew how to dress then. It's sad that we've gotten so casual now..seems like anything goes. I'm not itchin to be in a girdle, but I wish the tide would turn back to a more polished look. Love "Mad Men" and the fashions are fun to look at, but I wouldn't want to go back there again in the workplace! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mad Men is the ONLY show I watch without fail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! Most of what I wear has to be comfy-double knits, loose tops, you get the drift. The fashions of the 60s only had room for tiny waists. I remember both my mom and grandmom squeezing in girdles to get that look.
    We would get on the el train to go to Wanamakers at least once a year (a big deal!)until they built the one in Springfield. What was the store on 69th St? Hmmm.
    Lit Brothers was another 'nice' store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hummm, I'm doing NaBloPoMo this month. Posting about first projects would make a great entry. Thanks for the idea, Lee!

    ROFLOL. Some days I wish I had a pair of leg warmers. Just for old times sake. ***sigh***

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in high school in the early '60's (OMG!!!) and you're right about the dress codes....even in high school. No slacks or jeans allowed for either boys or girls!! I truly miss the styles of the '40's, '50's, and '60's. We've gotten way too casual (sloppy??) in our dress and the kids now all look like they can't afford to buy clothes that actually fit them or look good on them. Guess I'm getting old :(

    ReplyDelete