Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day

Cripes.  There I was blogging away about being nice to people and forgetting that today is Veterans Day in the US.  Thank goodness some of you out there are on top of this!

When my kids were in high school, they were in the marching band and always marched in the Veterans Day parade.  The parade always stopped stock-still at 11:11, and a trumpeter played Taps from the front of the parade.  Then another trumpeter answered with Taps from the back of the parade.  It made the hair on my arms stand up and brought tears to my eyes.  The symbolism was powerful.

Thank you to all of the veterans who have served our country with commitment, bravery, and quiet competence.  Even though I won't be at a parade today, I'll be pausing at 11:11 to remember you all.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about honoring Veterans. I have been to lots of Veterans Day parades, but never once have they stopped at 11:11. I think that is awesome way to honor Veterans. Yes, TAPS is such a haunting melody. It almost always brings me to tears. My dad is a WWII vet and he will have a military funeral and I am not looking forward to hearing those notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome about stopping at 11:11 and playing Taps. Thanks for posting and reminding us that Veterans Day is more than just another government holiday.

    ReplyDelete