Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Another Christmas Surprise

And here's another Christmas surprise.  A while back, Anna was writing about some quilts from her mother that were in varying stages of being finished.  We traded a couple of emails back and forth and I couldn't believe it when she offered me this red, white and green Irish chain quilt.

It's about 90% quilted already, and her mother has worked the tiniest, most even quilting stitches.  I'm so excited to get this into my lap this winter and finish it up!  Well...actually, I think I'm going to have to practice my quilting stitch for a bit before I take a needle to this.  I'm a little rusty and I fear that my quilting stitches will be really BIG and clumsy looking at first, especially if you compare them to Mom Stitch Bitch's stitches.  We can't have that.

15 comments:

  1. I love happy endings. It's wonderful that this quilt gets to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful gift from Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it hand quilted? It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treasure. You are very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is from Anna's mom. It's so nice to have someone appreciate my work. I'm afraid I am one who starts but doesn't always finish. Then it's on to new interests. I so admire someone who can finish what they have started. And I'm so glad to have you do this quilt. Don't be afraid of your larger quilt stitches. They will remind you of how much better you got as you went along. When you are in your old age you can look back at them with found memories or how you improved as you went along. I'd love to see a picture when you do finish it. Thank you for taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that the quilt has a new home where it will be loved and treasured by a fellow needle worker and quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an incredible gift! It's beautiful, and I can't wait to see it finished. It's gotten such a perfect new home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at that. My mom got all verklempt and couldn't even spell her whole message right. Still, you've made her day! (Really, she wrote and told me so.)

    But y'all can see where I got the inability to finish what I start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt, i love it!
    have fun finishing it, it will be something to treasure

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a generous gift! I agree with Anna's mom. Go ahead and don't worry about your stitches. Each one will tell it's own story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that is beautiful and such gorgeous colours. Good luck with the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous quilt and what a generous gift to send. Enjoy working on it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous. Have fun finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool! I was wondering who got some of Anna's mom's work and what they would do with it. I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete