Monday, December 14, 2009

Last day in NYC

Saturday was our last day in New York.  We did the Uptown tour loop and that started in Times Square and took us around Central Park, into Harlem, along Riverside Park and past several Museums. The photo are  the Hudson River, the Apollo Theater and the Guggenheim Museum.

We were leaving just as it got dark, and snapped one last photo of Macy's before we got back on the train to pick up our car in Jersey City and head back home.

There are a few things that I think I'll always remember about this trip.  (I'm not going to talk about the cold.  BTDT and it was December, after all) First of all, I've never seen so many people in my life.  I was a little overwhelmed on Thursday night, but those crowds were nothing compared to the Saturday crowd.  There were places in Macy's where we were literally shoulder-to-shoulder and back-to-front with people.  It was only slightly less crowded out on the sidewalks.  So I'm glad that our weekend started on Thursday and we had a bit of a chance to acclimate.  If we had started our trip on Saturday, I would have been a basket case.  (I found myself wondering how many people have meltdowns in those situations?)

Even among such crowds, there were people that stood out.  We saw shouting arguments on sidewalks spring up from nowhere and neither person was going to give an inch.   We were kind of a captive audience during one, standing and waiting for the light to change while these two men went at it behind us.  It was so uncomfortable for us that it was comical.  On the other hand, every single person who we asked to help us could not have been more kind and helpful.  I hate to pick on Macy's, but it's a good example because it was bedlam.  Yet even in that crush, the sales clerks and security people were all (seriously...all) cheerful and ready to help us.  And we encountered that attitude everywhere we went.

We enjoyed our bus tours, but seriously underestimated the time that we needed for each tour.  The whole hop-on-hop-off idea sounds appealing, but only if you want to do a quick stop and walk around a particular area then get on the next bus.  I thought we could get three tour loops in during two days, but there was no way that we had time for that.  So we only had two tours (besides the Thurs night Holiday Lights tour) - Uptown and Downtown.  We couldn't fit in the Brooklyn tour.  Regardless, I'm glad that we did the tours.  We were completely unfamiliar with NYC and these tours gave us a decent look at the highlights of the city.  So now we have ideas about what we'd like to see and do when we plan our next trip and we'll be comfortable enough to get around on our own. 

Yup...I said next trip.  We'll be back.  More likely it'll be in better weather, like in the spring or fall, but we'll certainly go back.

Other highlights:
1.  Entire stores with nothing but trims and ribbons.  Incredible.
2.  New York Cheesecake....to die for
3.  Seeing groups of Santa Claus's walking down the street to catch a bus. 
4.  Talking about family finances with a street vendor.  I know.  I have to learn to stop talking to everyone.
5.   The young woman who ran onto the train, stopping in front of me, face to face, just three inches from my nose and then whipping out her phone to send text messages completely oblivious to my uncontrollable laughing.
6.  Seeing the sunset just behind the Statue of Liberty.  Stunning.



I did the tiniest amount of stitching in the car on Thursday.  Here's Sew Red (I had only stitched the "b" before the trip).  It was a good car project.  Easy to see and no color changes!

8 comments:

  1. I'm in envy of your trip to NY!
    Me and my eldest went 4 years ago now and enjoyed every single minute, one day we do plan on going back.
    so glad you had a good time, dispite the crowds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the crowds would freak me out too. My DD & fiance did NY a couple of months ago and it was a real eye opener for an Aussie girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it is Christmastime and NYC has to be the coolest place to visit! We were up there for a wedding a few years back-first time. I wanted to go last month, but finances were tight. Hope to try again next year.
    Glad you got to go-but I would worry about sickness and pick pockets too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trim and ribbons? So you got down to the Garment District? What a fun place!

    And the Guggenheim. I love it. Maybe I can talk DH into a trip to NYC in the spring. It's been 4 years since I've been in the city and there's no place like NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great time in NYC! I want to spend more time there! Maybe next summer...

    Was everyone on their best behavior? (big grin...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have had a great time there. One day I want to see this city and visit all the places that you mention. Thanks for sharing the pictures adn their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I'm not good with dealing with a crush of humanity like that. You are a far braver soul than I!

    ReplyDelete