Tuesday, December 08, 2009

OOP Woes

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who cries over new-to-me designs that I eventually find are out of print (OOP, in ebay speak)

I completely fell in love with Brightneedle's Lo How a Rose design when I saw that several stitchers were working on it last year. Not only is it my favorite Christmas hymn, I love it's style and colors.  But last year, if you didn't already have this Better Homes and Gardens book in your stash, it was difficult to find. There were ebay sellers but...Good God....they wanted $35 for it. I mean, if the book had been chock full of designs that I loved, sure...no problem.  But this was really the only design that most of us wanted.  For months I kept my eyes peeled at flea markets, used book stores, and yard sales.  I'd spy a yard sale with lots of crafts or newly opened used book store and start twitching like a crack addict. But I had no luck after several months and eventually I gave up.

Until about three weeks ago, when I saw it on the Amazon site for sale.  Good condition, and a costing a whopping 99 cents.  Altogether with shipping?  About five bucks.  Score one for me!

It's a joy to stitch.  I just wish I had more time.  And here's where I am as of today.



Now my next OOP search is for an older Prairie Schooler Santa freebie card. It's a design of Santa paddling a canoe and was released to promote a leaflet called Santa Rides. For someone who lives on a lake? Well, what's not to love?

Sure, I've seen it on ebay. This "free" card is priced at $7.50. Oh yeah. And free shipping. Very generous at a whopping 44 cents.  Seriously.  I'd pay a few dollars, but I'm not crazy.

Ah well.  I'll keep watching ebay and see if something less highway robbery-like turns up after the holidays are over.  Meanwhile, I'll congratulate myself for being so reasonable and hate myself for the very same reason.

19 comments:

  1. Glad you found it! I have 4 BH&G XS books should you like to give them a good home. Send me an email if you'd like to find out which they are and add them to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr the enabling that goes on at stitching blogs!!! I saw your WIP and had to go to Amazon and get the book. Thanks a lot!! I love roses and you know I need to add something to my stash. It's funny you mention the Prairie schooler cards. I just bought a boatload of them on Ebay for like $2 apiece. I am new to Prairie Schooler and figured what the hell, even though I know these were free cards given out at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been in search of this book also but llike you refused to pay the price just a few months ago. Can I ask you who you bought it from on Amazon?
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're patient, the price does come down. :-)

    I once had a favorite cookbook damaged in a plumbing accident. It was OOP. When I first looked for it, I couldn't find it *anywhere* on the Web. Then a year later, it's on eBay for $1. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come I didn't know you wanted this book? I have it! You could have borrowed it free of charge! :(

    Unfortunately, I have Santa Rides but not the freebie...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also fell in love with Lo How A Rose last winter. The used book had been selling on Amazon for about $3. Well, I guess all of a sudden everyone wanted that pattern. I waited a few days to order the book and all the $3 books were sold. I paid $17! After I bought it, the next group of sellers were asking $25. Oh well, the age-old law of supply and demand. Enjoy stitching the design!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your WIP of this is just gorgeous. Can't wait to see more,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your OOP score! Patience is often rewarded. I hope you find your PS Santa in the canoe. I have not seen that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I luckily joined "sisterhood of the rose" , Doris, from pause in the journey sent the book on to me after she stitched'lo' I think I am to send it to France to Valie when I am done the project , which I hope will be by March 2010 or earlier. I am about as far along as you are Lee. Your progress looks lovely . I think this is one of the most popular projects . It got me into the blogging world. I have tonnes of those BHG books but I didn't have this one. There is a cute snowman in the book also. Sadly I have heard that Brightneedle isn't designing anymore, only for special classes/courses.
    I will SAL with you on this one is the new year! Trying to finish up a LHN for my mother for Christmas is all I can manage right now. Happy week to you !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good design, nice blog. I like this post. I am follow your blog. Thanks for share good post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great find! Go Amazon! LOL That is looking gorgeous and I can not wait to see more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty, I have that book too and one of these days I will stitch lo, how a rose :-).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lee, where I come from OOP's are Order's of Protection and they DO cause Woes..... I hope putting your wants into the blogosphere will result in a windfall. I'd love to see the one of Santa canoing.
    PS... I can read your blog again. I'm not sure what changed but it doesn't freeze up anymore.

    Pam O

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the OOP Prairie Schooler Santa in the Canoe. If you still want it, email me your address and I'll get it on it's way.
    Sandy
    sandyxstitcher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you found a copy - it's a beautiful chart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. enable me. where can i see a finished stitch of this?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great score! Way to go! I loved stitching Lo and sending it on. I'll be truly thrilled as it travels the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so glad that someone who commented here had that PS freebie for you! I'm sorry I never got back to you about it; I lost your email in my inbox, but reading this post reminded me of it. :( I'm glad that you were able to get your hands on it otherwise!!

    ReplyDelete