Monday, January 25, 2010

Bee Mine

Hiya gang!

It's hard for me to believe that I've gone 11 days without posting.  I was doing pretty well there in November and December, but January has been another story.

I've been busy, but not stitching very much and that's probably why I've been so quiet.  The rest of my life this month has been pretty blah.  I've worked more than usual and if you want to know from boring, just ask me about work.   I'll fill you in on how to finely craft a 1099-Misc, and on the delicate creation of W-2's. And I'll tell you about the joy of nice even rows of numbers that all add up correctly. 

Yeah.  It's that much fun.

BUT, extra work can also be a good thing, because I decided to reward myself for a really productive work week by going to a Stitch Night at The French Knot.  I'm glad that I went, too.  It's a nice little shop and it was a friendly group of stitchers.  I took Lo How a Rose with me, but we were a little crowded and it was hard to manage the scroll frames. Still, I made a little progress and please forgive the stray threads and flash photography, but if I wait for a nice, sunny day AND a day that all of my working threads are tucked away neatly, you may never see this project again.:


I didn't buy much there. I like the shop, but I'm not crazy about most of the designs that she carries. Laura does have a nice selection of fabrics, though. And threads.  So I'll buy those things from her.

Another nice thing? She has loads of freebies in the shop. One is a cute little spring design by Waxing Moon and she matched some really pretty blue fabric with it, so of course I bought the fabric. The other is this older LK freebie. I stitched and finished this over the weekend and I'll mail it to Miss College. She doesn't eat much candy, so maybe she'll take the money and buy some nice fruit. Or oatmeal. Since she lives on both of those things.




It's charted for DMC or GAST, but I decided to use my Old Willow Stitchery threads, instead.  And You may remember that I've done this kind of finish before, last Christmas when I needed a something for a $10 exchange gift for our Ladies' Auxiliary.  It's really just a pinkeep with a pocket and a hanger.

So, now what kind of cutesy thing can I send to College Boy? He's not a big LK fan...Maybe I'll tack $10 to a recipe for Fuzzy Navel Slush, which is his favorite drink now that he's over 21.   Yes.  He's weird.

In reading news, I've finished The Red Scarf and it was very enjoyable.  The sex scene?  Nothing remarkable?  Listen, my mom let me read some pretty racy stuff when I was in high school and that 70's fiction was not for those easily shocked.  Was there even a YA category in the 70's? 

I'm listening to The Help and I have to say that I'm 5 hours in and I'd never know it.  The narration is beautifully done and the minutes fly by when you're listening.

And I'm halfway through The Curse of the Spellmans, which is wonderful and lighthearted and a joy to read. 

Can you tell that both kids are back to college now???

OH....MY....GOSH!  I'm sitting here, looking at those photos and I can see a big, big mistake in my stitching. 

Look at the top right side of the heart. 

Good grief, I didn't stitch a whole dark pink section at the top!  What an ultra-maroon! (for you Bugs Bunny fans out there). I can't believe I did that.  Oh well.  She'll love it anyway.  And now you all know that I'm not perfect.  Sigh.

27 comments:

  1. I started the Spellman Files the other night, after seeing your recommendation. (It had been hiding on my bookcase for a while.) At first, I wasn't so sure about it, but now I'm hooked. I'm not quite halfway through, and still wondering where it's going. Glad to hear that future installments are also entertaining.

    The missing piece of the heart just makes it look that much more funky (in a good L*K sort of way). I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't written about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally bummed to find out your not perfect-I may have to stop visiting your blog! LOL I would say your "unique interpretation" of this design will be just fine to College Girl. I did something similar on a needle case that was sent off to an exchange partner and didn't realize the mistake until I posted a photo on my blog. C'est la vie! It's a great finish either way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Help as well, such a wonderful story and brilliant performances as well.

    Lo is looking very nice, and the heart - well, it is funky looking. Besides the little something in the pocket will bring a smile to her face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it - and never even noticed the missing part until you pointed it out! Lo looks nice, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. College boy and girl are both so lucky! I love the colours on your latest piece and didn't even notice the mistake until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Help has to be the very best book on cd I ever listened to. I loved it, and the readers were fabulous. I'm listening to The Glass Castle ... it's about a hideously dysfunctional family.

    Love the way you finished Bee Mine. I never would've noticed the bite out of the heart. The new game will be to see how long it takes Miss College to notice.

    Lo is looking great. Glad you had some fun at stitching night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and just love it. Your finish for your daughter is darling even with your little goof and I love Lo. I've got the book, just got to do it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a charming little heart with a slight imperfection, just like most of us. :) I didn't notice it either until you pointed it out at the end.

    I read The Help this summer and thoroughly enjoyed it, but now I'm thinking I need to get the audio book. Years ago we listened to Ender's Game on a road trip and I could still hear those voices as I read subsequent books of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, stranger. As for the L*K never.would.have.noticed. I think you've just stitched a variation. A lovely one at that, but I'm a sucker for the checkerboard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea, I wouldn't have noticed either. I love the giftie for your DD...cute! Great progress on 'Lo too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Lo! I will have to look up that pattern. I would not have seen your mistake if you had not pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful stitching! And she won't even notice. I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never noticed the mistake until you pointed it out, It is unique now. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had not noticed until you pointed it out either! She is just going to be so thrilled to have something from her mom that I'm sure she won't notice either. Don't point it out to her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet Valentine...I love how you made the pocket in the back to tuck $$ into :) And I wouldn't have noticed the missing stitches either! Guess we'll all be waiting to see how long it takes Miss College to notice, lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lee, your Lo, How A Rose is beautiful. What fibers are you using? And I never would have noticed the mistake in the LK piece if you hadn't mentioned it!

    I have all these good intentions of going to the Friday night stitching session and The French Knot, but by the time Friday rolls around all I want to do is crash on the sofa. Maybe I'll make it one of these evenings when the days get a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG don't you just love the Spellmans? There's a new one coming out in March and I can't wait.
    Love your LK...that's a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love our progress on Lo!

    And as the others have said, I didn't notice the variation on the heart - it's still very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well when I saw your beautiful progress on 'Lo' I put the laundry etc aside and got right to work!!! But my thread go caught and had to pick out so didn't get very far but hope to post more progress by end of week. Love what you did for your Valentine girl . If I got that in the mail I'd be ecstatic. I loved 'The Help' too. I just finished ' The Christmas List' on cd by Richard Paul Evans, a bit late to be doing that but it was a great one, and not very long.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would never have noticed the mistake either, Lee. And now that you have, it will give the little wallhanging an even more special story to laugh about in the future. Lo is looking just lo-lo-lo-lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just like everyone else, I don't think I would have noticed the mistake if you hadn't pointed it out either! It's so cute and a great idea. Know what you mean about the past month. Today I must discipline myself to get the dreaded FAFSA's done. Lots of time off from work these days!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a cute gift for Colleen! Bet she'll treasure it always. Reading? What's that? I have been trying to read if I could stay away from Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think it's lovely - I never would have noticed if you had not pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh man, I'm jealous. Getting to listen to The Help for the first time--oh, you are so lucky. So, so lucky. I just LOVED that book and can still hear the voices in my mind. They tell me to eat lots of snacks... oh sorry, wrong voices...

    Great progress on Lo! And I totally feel like a slacker mother because it never even occured to me to stitch something for *MY* college girl. Eek. Oh well. Ahem. I love what you did for Colleen, and as others have said, never would've noticed your creative interpretation of it had you not pointed it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I absolutely love Lo :) Love the colours.

    Love Bee Mine too and love how you finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a cute gift for your daughter. I would never have noticed that mistake at ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW...love the floss you won. That is terrific. Also, the BeMine to your daughter at college is so precious. I'm sure she won't notice the missing square, she'll be bragging to all her friends that she got a "care package" from home!

    ReplyDelete