Tuesday, January 12, 2010

What I've been doing these days

I'll tell you - it hasn't been stitching. 

I've had lots of work to do.  And not to be a crybaby, but I still have lots of work to do.  It's just that time of year and there's no use whining over it.

I've been reading more.  With both kids at home, I totally lost control of the TV.  But maybe that's a good thing because I've read two books that I really enjoyed and I've started a third book.  Over the holidays I read Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe by Sandra Gulland.  It's the second book in her three-book series about Josephine Bonaparte.  I liked it, although not as much as her first book,  The Many Lives and Secret Sorrows of Josephine B.  Her third book is waiting on my bed table, The Last Great Dance on Earth, and I'm sure I'll like that, too.  Although we know that it won't end well.

I'm very close to finishing Olive Kitteridge, by Elizabeth Strout.  Something about this book really sucked me in.  Maybe it was because it started with a short story about Olive's pharmacist husband and I felt attached to a character right away.  Maybe because sometimes I feel like Olive myself, who is a combination of awful and wonderful all at the same time. Whatever it is, I finish one short story in the book and I can't wait to start the next one. (but you should know this - the jacket blurbs say that it's funny.  So far I haven't found anything funny at all, and unless it's going to get funny in the last 50 pages, the book is rather sad.  Very not-funny.  Just FYI)


And my third book is The Red Scarf, by Kate Furnivall.  It's our book club selection for February.  So far I'm liking it.

Good Lord, it's snowing again!  At least I've had the college kids home through all of the snow we've had since the New Year and they've kept my driveway shoveled and passable.  So they're good for something besides endless TV watching.


4 comments:

  1. I loved Olive Kitteridge. I don't remember it being very funny, either, but it did make me weepy a few times.

    Very cool snow pics on your other post. Thank you for showing cobwebs on your deck. They look just like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read and even though I read every day, I go through periods where I don't do anything but read.

    Unlike you though, I have to limit it to one book at a time. I'm not sure but I've never read more than one book at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like curling up with a good book. Glad you are enjoying your quiet reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, I think I'll have to get hold of my reading habits again. If not I'll end up with only 18 book read within a whole yera. Like last year.

    ReplyDelete