Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I should be shoveling.

But my driveway isn't going anywhere so I decided that the driveway could wait while I put this together.
LK and JABC Freebie
Reach for the Stars
Copyright 2000, Lizzie Kate, Inc.
Stitched on something silver and glittery from my stash and added miscellaneous buttons
Threads: DMC 4025, DMC 4190, and Dinky Dyes #87
(Thanks Danielle!)

Here's something about the backing fabric.  When Colleen was really little - say 3 or 4 years old - I had a birthday party for her and I made a table cloth out of this fabric.  When I spied it on my fabric shelf this evening, first I was surprised that I had even kept the leftover fabric (the tablecloth is long gone), and then I was tickled pink!  Ironing it and cutting it made me remember those little girl parties.  We had so much fun with those, whether they were a success or not.  The picnics were usually the best.  The special treats for school?  Not so much.  I wasn't always very good with those.

One year I saw somebody making these awesome treats on one of the morning shows.  She took blue Jello and let it partially set and then put cute little Swedish fish candies in it, making it look like a little fishbowl.  So I got small clear sundae cups from the local ice cream place and made up 25 containers of jello and put the fish...just like the TV cook did.  Took them into the classroom the next day and the Swedish fish had started to dissolve in the Jello.  So they were mushy and grainy and slippery and the kids were completely grossed out.  One little boy even started to gag.  And once that begins, you know how it spreads throughout the room?  After that, nobody touched Colleen's little fishy birthday treats. 

The next year, I stuck to store-bought cupcakes.  With plastic picks for decorations.  I'm lucky that nobody put out an eye....


20 comments:

  1. I love the gift card holder. So cute and clever. Hope your trip to Ohio goes well. Darn snow, spoils all our fun.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, funny story about the fish, lol!

    I really like your birthday finish! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a cute finish! Great story about the birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the finished LK! Fish story is funny as can be!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! How special to find the fabric from a birthday party years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! What a fun blast from the past to find that fabric. And the swedish fish jello story was just too much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL about the fish - exactly something that would happen to me! Your finish is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That turned out great! I love the backing fabric (and the story that went with it!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute finish! Too funny about the fish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess your DH passed by the memo about the driveway. lol The memory of the table cloth adds to the beauty of the Card Holder. Very nice.
    Be always in stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's very cute!

    It's my birthday on Saturday too - I don't think anyone is going to make me something so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sitting here in my kitchen laughing over the gagging boy, Lee! Too funny :)

    Love your card holder, too, and those sweet little bluebirds flying around the cake on the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful finish. I love the memory about the tablecover as well as the treats. I don't know why there is always that stress about bringing the best birthday treats to school for the kids birthdays. Oh, well, I only have one more year of it as my youngest starts middle school next year where birthday treats are too embarrassing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cardholder looks so cute, very creative.
    Oh my, those birthday treats, lol. I always bought something to give my kids to take to the class on their birthday. So I always was on the safe side, lol.
    Hopefully your dish works fully again by now. But at least you get to see the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bday fabric, fish and jello~~ahhh, good memories, LOL :)

    What a cute bday pinkeep...you'll have to let us know if Colleen recognizes the fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super cute finish!! Love the jello story--that is sooo something that'd happen to me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable finish! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an adorable finish and how special to have the backing fabric to use as well! The jello "fish" tale made me laugh; too funny!

    ReplyDelete